Author Topic: Cat C12 Hose Change  (Read 6289 times)

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
Cat C12 Hose Change
« on: February 15, 2014, 01:43:04 AM »
      Our motor coach is 13 years old and we took possession on Jan 20th of this year. We have been very proactive on getting the coach to a point of known beginnings mechanically. New tires, shocks, full alignment, brakes checked and are excellent, oil, fuel, water, air, filter change,  on not only the engine but the generator as well. Transmission changed to Transend, differential, axle bearing lube changed out. The next step is to change the coolant to Cats ELC and while doing so, I have ordered the coolant expansion tank that BCS manufactures, I can see where the existing reservoir has been repaired. Now as long as I'm having the coolant change I want to have All Hoses changed. Has anyone changed out all hoses and if so, where did you find the replacements and what was the difficulty level, Or if a facility accomplished this task, what might I expect for a cost. This should be the final phase of getting the coach where I want it mechanically.
    Your recommendations are appreciated.

Larry D.
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15

Jeremy Parrett

Re: Cat C12 Hose Change
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 02:20:05 AM »
Hi Larry,
  Your plan is good. I have done exactly the same maintenance. Changed to Transynd; CAT ELC; shocks, brakes;full Josams (Orlando) alignment;fuel filters;etc.  Need to change rad and coolant hoses so if you get some helpful replies please forward info.
 To solve algae build up in fuel  I suggest using Biobor TM available at West Marine etc. My Wix strainer is now clear after 3 runs to Mexico and back.
   I also use Cetane Boost which helps with power and   as a lubricant.
  Check your waterheater sacrificial anode.....if one is fitted.....if not fit one and expect to replace this unit (Defender Industries...under $300) Check Hurricane Furnace exhaust elbow.  
  Fuel hoses at tank can weep as can Generator fuel hose at generator.
 Check your tag axle tie rods. Mine had no lock nuts and one let go in Mexico.  Inboard end pulled right out of threaded tie rod end.  Josams replaced 3/4 inch with 1 1/4 inch ends so no more issues.
  Jane and I love our Marquis and have driven her 38,000 miles since we bought her at Lazydays in Tampa March 2010.
  Call me at 626 264 0576 if you have any questions or just to chat !!!
We are going to the Southern Comfort Rally in Hilton Head .  Maybe we will see you there?

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 02:59:09 AM »
Jeremy:

Thanks for your suggestions, I will check further on the tag axle tie rods. The fuel, I have not paid too much attention to, but we have run several tank fulls through and no issues. But I should check the strainer, if I have one (sure hate to admit not knowing, but busy with other items). Also, I must ask, where is the water heater located? I know we have circuit breakers for it, but like I said, I've been concentrating on chassis mechanicals. Well, I do have a few more questions, so it will be best I call you, thanks for the offer. I will be busy on the coach tomorrow, but maybe the evening will leave me some time.
       Laura and I are looking at a few days at the Southern Comfort Rally, I'll let you know what we come up with.

Thanks again Jeremy, be talking to you soon.

Larry D.
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
Cat C15

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 03:27:05 AM »
Hi Larry,
  the water heater is located in the Hurricane Furnace bay behind the front passenger wheel..  It is a fiddly job to remove the panel without scratching the paintwork.
 Behind the panel is a shelf with the waterheater /tank above the Hurricane Furnace.  Also in there are the circulation pumps for the hot water and for "Coach heat"......read my article in here somewhere on this amazing system.  You can heat the coach the coach in so many different ways.
  Looking forward to chatting tomorrow night if you wish.  Not sure of my plans yet so give it a try anyhow.
   One thing I forgot to mention was the tires.  We had undersized/underweight load on front axle.
 Now have 295 /80 R22.5 Bridgestones on front.  

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 03:54:21 AM »
Larry,
The items that Jeremy was listing were for a 2000 Marquis. Your 2001 does not have all of the same equipment. For instance, the 2000 model uses a Hurricane heating unit with an electric water heater, but since the 2001 uses an Aqua Hot heating unit, an electric water heater is not used because the Aqua Hot system has an electric element built into the unit.

The main coolant hose that you should be concerned about are the hoses that supply the coolant filter. However if you are installing Cat ELC coolant, the filter is not needed, and the hoses should be removed and plugged at the engine outlets. There are several threads on this subject on the forum. I have owned a 2000 Marquis for ten years, and I do my own maintenance, so if you need help on a subject that you can not find an answer to on the forum, just call or email me. My contact information is in the directory and in BT (Beaver Tales) as the BAC President.

Gerald        

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 04:08:12 AM »
Gerald,
  Thanks for the heads up.  Learn something new every day.  Jeremy

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 12:31:02 PM »
Gerald:
         Thanks for the input. My Aqua Hot did already get some attention from me, due to two zones not circulating properly. It took a little tapping on the check valves to get the fluid traveling. We have used it several times since and it is functioning just fine now, I believe it just needed to be exercised a bit. I have read about the electrical element to bring the Aqua Hot up to temperature and that must be what the breaker is for. When Jeremy mentioned a water heater, I thought i better be a bit inquisitive, just in case I have not read thoroughly enough or understood the system.
          In the previous threads regarding ELC, I took note of your comments regarding eliminating the filter and have brought it up to the Cat facility, that I plan on using and the service manager seemed unsure of the procedure and would have to check with the Cat literature to make sure. I told him I have read this from Cat literature when switching to ELC. It was your comments in previous threads, regarding eliminating the filter that brought my attention to this. As you mentioned, the hoses are likely to rupture if they haven't already, Valuable information. I have the tools and ability to do some of this work but I lack the facilities, so my maintenance I can perform is limited. I really miss wrenching on engines, however I don't want to get myself in a position that I would need professional help. Your threads have all been valuable as well as other members comments and it is good to know where I can find help, What a Membership Group.
         Thanks so much on the offer to call if I really get confused on issues.

Jeremy:
         Josams performed my alignment as well and installed the shocks, they do good work. I, also, went to that size of tire, but it was the replacement size from the Toyo tires that were on the coach. You certainly have racked up the mileage, and I hope to do the same come April. I need to put on the mileage due to the warranty on our engine, which expires this time next year.
         Thanks again for your offer, be talking to you soon, if you are available.

Larry D.
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
Cat C15

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 02:22:44 PM »
Larry,
  It never occurred to me that the 2001 Marquis would have different equipment to the 2000.  Thanks to Gerald for pointing this out !!
   Good luck with replacing your rad  hoses.  Let me know if and where you get your replacements please.
      Jeremy