Author Topic: alternator  (Read 4300 times)

Frank Bannert

alternator
« on: February 16, 2014, 05:52:15 PM »
I have a 02 Beaver Patriot 330 hp 3126 and we have not used it in a year due to my health. I have started it on a regular basis and this weekend I went out and started it and the alternator gauge shows  less then 10 volts. Is there a quick fix or do I need a new alternator? I am unable to work on this due to my health and would like to know if someone has the part# for the alternator and a app. cost if this is the problem. It has been working fine until this weekend. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Frank

Michael Marcocchio

Re: alternator
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 06:19:53 PM »
Hello I just bought a new alternator from B&M starter & alternator service in Pensacola Fl. 850-434-0897 great people to deal with very very helpful. I live in Canada and he sent it to a campsite in the states where I was camping for the return trip to Canada. They also repair them as well. You will need the make and ser #of the alterntor as well as the rated amps.Hope this helps.

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 10:59:30 PM »
If it is a Leece Neville it is likely a 2824LC but I cannot be sure. My unit had the same symptom, sat quite a bit over the winter, and when I started it up the voltage would not come up. I let it run a bit to see if the brushes are hung up to see if they might make better contact and start to generate the proper voltage. Hard to know what is wrong.

I had B+M in Pensacola rebuild mine and I think the charge was about $265. You will probably have an alternator shop in your area or you can ship it and have it rebuilt. There are other options and possible brand change, possibly a Bosch. My experience has been if the alternator quits working, it does not fix itself and it is time to rebuild it or replace it. Be sure the belt is in tact and all is spinning well back there.

Later Ed

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 11:21:12 PM »
I had my alternator replaced on the road last August.  I had a mechanic come out and replace it and the approximate cost was $700 for the alternator and labor.  I have a rear radiator Cummins and it took him a total of 3 hours at $150/ hour labor.

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 12:17:44 AM »
I bought a rebuilt unit from NAPA, it cost me $268 and I installed it myself.

Took about an hour and no problems whatsoever just unbolt then rebolt.

Only slow down was belt, it was a hair tight other than that a breeze.