Author Topic: Three electrical problems  (Read 5550 times)

Richard And Babs Ames

Three electrical problems
« on: February 23, 2014, 08:41:47 PM »
Looking for a "been there" possibly,

First is the A fantastic fan will open on its own and will not shut the vent. Does not matter if the non Fantistic switch is on or off.
Second the after marker Auto Drain valve does not stop running whe closing ehe black tank valve. Can just the control head and motor be replaced.
And last ten momentary switch for fresh Walter is mechanically broken. Can you just replace the switch?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 09:09:47 PM by 72 »

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Three electrical problems
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 09:48:02 PM »
My black tank auto drain valve stuck in the open position last Fall.  After pushing the button open and closed about a dozen times, it finally fully closed.  Immediately after getting it closed I put a cup of vegetable oil through the toilet and moved on to our next stop.  After that 150 mile trip the oil had done its job and the valve has worked flawlessly ever since.  I read about this fix here in the forum, and it worked (so far) beautifully.  Since then I have put a 1/2 cup of oil through both the toilet and gray tank every few months... best done just after dumping so the oil can slosh on the valve while traveling.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 12:29:25 AM by 9124 »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Dennis Crawford

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 12:10:25 AM »
Richard,

My guess regarding the Fantastic Fan is a faulty thermostat assuming you have a thermostat on the fan.  It will cause the fan to come on whether the switch is on or off.

If there is something wrong with the fan, Fantastic will send you a new one.  You just have to pay shipping.

I am not familiar with the other two switches.  What is the momentary fresh water switch?  I guess I don't have that on my Monterey.

Dennis

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 12:21:08 AM »
Momentary Switch. A type of switch usually in the form of a push button that is only engaged while it is being depressed, as opposed to a typical “on/off” switch, which latches in its set position. Momentary switches may be normally open or normally closed.

Now we both know...   lol
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Dick Simonis

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 02:17:20 PM »
Regarding the fan, I had the same thing happen to both of mine and the fix was replacing the gear box.  Contact Fantastic and they can get you the parts.  Not to tough a job to fix as it's all done from the inside.

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 07:15:50 PM »
Update: Fan Part From Fantastic $47. Head replacement for dump valve $79.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 02:42:26 AM »
If you aren't a full-timer, or if you are but don't use a particular vent much, the lid can virtually glue itself down to the base after long disuse.  The seal up there is such that the lid sticks to it.  The company began sourcing their seal material differently in order to rectify the problem, but I've found that even with a new seal and following their cleaning and seal treatment instructions, the lid can still stick down.  When it does, the lift motor is powerful enough that it can strip out the gears of the lift mechanism, and this seems to be the most common problem with the fans.

I've gone to being very careful, especially after long storage or extensive weather changes, when opening a vent.  If the lid doesn't open right away and easily, I immediately turn the unit off, go topside, and gently pry until the lid just pops loose of its seal.  You can do this from the inside if you remove the screen, but I usually go topside anyway so I can clean the seal and/or use 303 protectant on it which supposedly helps release in future use.

Gear-stripping may not be the Ames' problem in this instance, but it is a common-enough one that some of the Club's newest owners may not be aware of it until damage has been done.  Obviously, Fantastic Vent no longer is as free with their "warranty" as a few years ago, as many of us got repair parts free from the company, even for older fans.  Just watch when you turn a unit on, that the lid actually opens after a few seconds;  if it doesn't, continued motor operation may strip the gears, effectively incapacitating the fan.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 07:02:16 AM »
I have a 2,000 series fantastic vent and during a recent freeze I forgot and tried to open the lid and it was frozen to the base. It stripped out the gears in the motor assy. I ordered a new one and it cost me approx 50 dollars. The gentleman on the Phone told me they only replace parts free on units that are less than 2 years old now. They were recently bought out by Atwood.