Author Topic: TIRE VALVE EXTENDER HOSES  (Read 7821 times)

LEAH DRAPER

TIRE VALVE EXTENDER HOSES
« on: February 25, 2014, 04:17:30 PM »
I recently replaced my Goodyear 670's with the Michelin XZA2 tires.  The dealer used the existing steel braided extenders.  I am continually having a problem with the pressures on the two outside rear duallys in particular.  I am suspicious of the extenders leaking air.

Would like to know your thoughts about whether as a matter of good practice these extenders should also have been replaced after the 7-8 year period that we replace our tires.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: TIRE VALVE EXTENDER HOSES
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 04:45:16 PM »
My steel-braided extenders are connected to the inside dual tires, not to the outside dual tires.  Be yours as they may be, you could have a leak from many sources - a bead leak, a valve leak,... even a small crack in the rim.  Make up a spray bottle with water and a little dish soap, and spray on the valve, extenders, bead, etc.  When you see bubbles being generated from the leak, then you will have found the leak source.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 07:21:51 PM »
Leah,

By all means consider replacing those if they are suspected of leaking. There is a life to those materials and they can also loosen. Those units are under constant pressure in the size we have to use given the inner valve on the tire is under constant depression (open) to allow a remote valve fill.

The better solution is to go with metal tube versions held in place by a rubber grommet that fits into one of the wheel slots in the outer wheel. If you go to replace these you may want to look at that option.

later Ed

Larry and Heidi Lee

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 11:06:26 PM »
Hi Leah, I had the same exact issue so I tossed the braided lines for these solid units.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 11:12:02 PM »
I have the braided SS ones on the Thunder and have never had any air loss, installed with a dab of silicone grease on the threads no problem.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 02:40:41 AM »
Leah,
The highest probability for a leak in your case is the rubber seals between the flexible hoses and the metal valve stems. The seals are often damaged or lost when the hoses are removed during tire replacement.

Gerald

Edward Buker

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 05:16:05 AM »
Larry,

I'm not so sure about running the inner wheel extender through the outer wheel without some kind of support like a specially designed grommet in the outer wheel hole. They do make them.  Really not sure if all the motion out at the end of that extension would fatigue the metal back near the stem attachment point if the assembly was not held or supported in some way. There is a lot of motion involved here.

Later Ed

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 07:02:07 PM »
THANKS, to all of you who responded to my question.  I had the extenders replaced this morning with new ones so will see what the difference is.  Am hoping I'll not see anymore loss of psi.  Needless to say I am most unhappy with the Michelin dealer I purchased the tires through for our discount program and am seriously considering filing a complaint against him.  The other thing he did that "p      " me off was that he mounted the front tires inside-out so that the DOT date was hidden.  He refused to change that and just told me to crawl under and look for the date.  At 78 I am NOT about to do that.  
Grrrrr!!

Larry and Heidi Lee

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 07:14:44 PM »
Hi Ed, I'll source the grommet before the next trip. Thanks for the heads up!

Andy Clark

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 05:35:00 AM »
Quote from: Edward Buker
Larry,

I'm not so sure about running the inner wheel extender through the outer wheel without some kind of support like a specially designed grommet in the outer wheel hole. They do make them.  Really not sure if all the motion out at the end of that extension would fatigue the metal back near the stem attachment point if the assembly was not held or supported in some way. There is a lot of motion involved here.

Later Ed

Ed, support for the long inner valve stem extension is particularly needed if you have installed TPMS sensors on the valve stems. I had a failure of the valve stem sealing grommet due to the motion of one of my valve stems with the sensor installed. It produced about a 5psi per day leak.
I installed the rubber rim hole support grommets from here: https://yourtireshopsupply.com/, which seem to solve the problem.
Regards
Andy
Andy Clark
1995 Patriot 37
300HP Cummings 6CTA8.3
Camano Island WA

Edward Buker

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 12:50:54 PM »
Andy,

Thanks for letting us all know. Keeping good tires on the RV and keeping the air pressure where it should be is probably the single most important thing we can do for our own safety while RV traveling. Anything we can do to prevent a loss of air failure is time and money well spent.

Later Ed

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 02:09:30 PM »
On my braided SS extenders they are anchored with tabs that stick up on the center hub cover. Makes them real stable and very easy to add air if needed. Checked the air yesterday after three months and only had to add about 3 lbs in one tire, never have had anything that hangs on to air like this thing.