Author Topic: Seattle bypass?  (Read 8701 times)

Keith Oliver

Seattle bypass?
« on: April 05, 2014, 05:07:39 AM »
has anyone tred to bypass teh I-5 traffic by using the 405?  does it work out alright?

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Seattle bypass?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 09:13:49 AM »
I405 can be an improvement but isnt always.  I have seen it bumper to bumper like I-5, it is nice though when it flows nicely and you can skip all the downtown stuff.
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Andy Clark

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 08:28:18 PM »
Quote from: Keith Oliver
has anyone tred to bypass teh I-5 traffic by using the 405?  does it work out alright?

Anywhere around rush hour (5:30-9am and 2:30- 6pm approx) I-405 can be as nightmarish as I-5. The cities of Renton, Bellevue and Kirkland are choke points. Once north of Kirkland the traffic generally flows OK, but the same can be said for I-5 north of Northgate.

If I am travelling I-5 south in the morning and north in the evening I take the I-5 Epress lanes. If the opposite, I leave for a southbound trip after 9am and avoid the nothbound direction until after 7pm. Works for me.
Andy
Camano Island
Andy Clark
1995 Patriot 37
300HP Cummings 6CTA8.3
Camano Island WA

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 09:00:17 PM »
They are right, Keith.  Avoid Seattle anywhere at rush hour.  But at other times the 405 is more likely to be problem-free;  there are no guarantees.  I have relatives in the area, and we all pretty much have stayed with the 405 over the decades unless passing through and it's very early or very late.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Arden Smith

• BAC Member
  • 98 Monterey 36\' 300 Cat 3126
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 07:13:21 PM »
The best bet  is to go through Seattle on Sunday morning or forenoon if at all possible, The only other time for no traffic is the middle of the night.
Arden Smith
98 Monterey 36' 3126 300 CAT

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 01:29:18 AM »
Hi Arden I drove the 405 everyday for 15 years, if you travel mid-day 10AM-2PM or after 7PM you will not have an problem heading north or south
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Keith Oliver

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 02:56:56 AM »
Through Seattle.  I tried the 405.  It was busy, busier than I remember the express lanes, but not nearly so busy as the regular lanes of the I-5.  We transited Seattle at about 3:00 pm, northbound.  Home in Coquitlam now, cleaning up.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 12:51:47 PM »
Quote from: Keith Oliver
Through Seattle.  I tried the 405.  It was busy, busier than I remember the express lanes, but not nearly so busy as the regular lanes of the I-5.  We transited Seattle at about 3:00 pm, northbound.  Home in Coquitlam now, cleaning up.
FWIW, buried in Washington code is the statement that RVs don't get to use the express lanes.  It is buried deep enough that most WSP officers may not know it as I've never heard of tickets being issues.  It could happen.

neil omalley

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 03:17:43 PM »
Bil: not sure about the express lanes but the HOV 's are definitely out of the question. Technically, the hov's require at least two persons per ]vehicle[. Are the express lanes considered HOV?

Gerald Farris

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 03:35:16 PM »
Most states restrict vehicles that are towing from the HOV lanes.

Gerald

Bill Sprague

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 01:24:40 AM »
Quote from: Gerald Farris
Most states restrict vehicles that are towing from the HOV lanes.

Gerald
Gerald,

In Washington I'm pretty sure the code says RVs, period.  I don't think it matters if you are towing or not.  

That said, I've met two people that tow a fifth wheel with a toad attached.  They claim they can because they are licensed in Montana.  The last time I talked to them, the WSP had left them alone.  Both were using old Freightliners in front, claimed they had commercial endorsements and were no different than a trucker with doubles.  

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 02:12:02 AM »
Straight out of the Washington State Vehicle Code;
Left-Lane Restrictions
Any vehicle towing a trailer, or other vehicle or combination over
10,000 pounds, may not be driven in the left-hand lane of limited-access
roadways that have three or more lanes in one direction, excluding
HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lanes. This includes commercial trucks,
recreational vehicles, vehicles towing boats, and any car or truck towing
a trailer. Commercial vehicles over 10,000 pounds GVW are prohibited
from HOV lanes, even with the minimum number of occupants specified
on signs.
This law affects any limited-access roadway that has three or more
general purpose lanes in one direction. The law primarily affects
I-5, portions of I-90 and I-405 in King and Snohomish Counties,
and portions of I-90 in Spokane. It does not apply to HOV lanes, or to
drivers of affected vehicles who are preparing to turn left at an intersection, or exit onto a
private road or driveway. WSDOT will have signs posted in those areas where the law is in
affect. Failure to obey the law in areas where signs are posted will result in a citation by the
Washington State Patrol (WSP)