Author Topic: Power Problem  (Read 5564 times)

Owen Johnson

Power Problem
« on: March 12, 2014, 01:07:08 AM »
My power won't work w/gen. or shore power only w/invvertor. This just happened today for some reason it worked just fine a couple weeks ago when exercised the generator. I have a surge protector but seem to have power on both sides of it. I'm wondering if it could be the bigboy isolator or maybe a fuse or breaker somewhere apprecite any ideas someone might have. Thanks Owen

Edward Buker

Re: Power Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 01:18:27 AM »
Owen,

When you say power, do you mean that there is no 120V available in the coach except on inverter? When you talk about the Big Boy, that system is 12V and is a combiner to parallel the house and Chassis batteries when the house batteries are seeing a charging voltage of around 13.2V roughly. If you have 120V on the output side of the surge protector cycle all of your 12v breakers on and off including the main. If that does not help take the cover off the main AC panel and see if you have 120V coming in on both legs (black and maybe red) when measured to the neutral line (white wires).

Later Ed

Owen Johnson

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 01:48:39 AM »
Ed
thanks for the response. Actually I have 12v power in the coach just not 120v. I'm not much of an electrician as you already figured out so am a little gunshy to test the voltages. When I check with my meter does one prong go on the black or red and the other on white or neutral? Thanks
Owen

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 02:33:51 AM »
I see Ed is offline, Owen, and you still are, so I'll proxy in here, though I'm no electrical expert.  The 50 amp main box should have either two black wires or a black and a red wire coming in that are "hot", and one wire that is probably white but could be gray.  I've never had to check a service box this way, but I'd set my meter for 120 volts and clip the black lead to the neutral wire/connector,  then touch the red meter lead to each of the other two in turn, and check for approx. 120 volts at each.  The other service box nearby is for 30 amp service coming from the inverter after it is supplied by usually the last breaker (marked 30Amp) on the right of the Main box.

Hope this helps.  But as Ed mentioned, make sure one of the breakers in the boxes hasn't tripped first.  Then proceed as described, but use due caution when messing around inside a live electrical panel.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Owen Johnson

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 02:43:35 AM »
Joel
Thanks for thr response. I am going out in a few minutes to do some checking. I was reading another post and was wondering if this has anything to do with an inverter leg tripped? Thanks
Owen

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 03:10:20 AM »
I'm not sure inverters have legs exactly.  That term is usually used to describe the two 50 amp main circuits of the Main box or panel.  That box is rated 240 volts because each of those two 50 amp circuit is 120 volts;  in a stick home, they can be combined to power heavy electrical devices such as ovens and dryers.  In the coach, one leg may feed the breakers of one air conditioner, the AquaHot element, and a washer/dryer.  The other leg will feed the other air conditioner, refridgerator, vacuum, and the inverter.

Generally, if you don't have lights or basic receptacles, and the microwave doesn't work (an easy test), but things like the fridge (electric side), air conditioners, washing machine, built-in vacuum, or AquaHot/HydroHot's electric side work, then the issue is your 30 amp box or its feed from the inverter.  Check first that 30 amp inverter breaker that feeds the inverter from the 50 amp main, and work from there to the 30 amp breaker coming in from the inverter in the 30 amp box.

Joel
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 03:22:06 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 04:10:47 AM »
Owen,
Have you checked to verify that you don't have AC power on all applications; Air cons, microwave, lights, TV, etc. My reason for asking is that a tripped GFI (or 2) would also result in no shore or generator produced AC at the respective locations.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Owen Johnson

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 06:00:37 AM »
Steve
It got too late tonite, thanks for the tip will try again tomorrow.
Owen

Edward Buker

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 03:58:28 PM »
Owen,

I apologize, I had to run before I read my prior post. I meant to have you cycle all the 120V breakers on and off and not 12V. Regarding Steve's post, also check the basement which usually has GFI outlets in it, I have had pretty much everything down in the coach outlet wise from a GFI tripping in the basement.

Later Ed

Edward Buker

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 04:41:42 PM »
Owen,

If you do not have power with either the generator or the shore power it typically rules out the transfer switch because the contacts sit in one position or the other. You have an open condition from both. So it is either in the 120V breaker box or what feeds it wiring wise.

Later Ed