Author Topic: Recording TV Shows without Cable or Satellite  (Read 10763 times)

Bill Sprague

Recording TV Shows without Cable or Satellite
« on: March 14, 2014, 01:56:52 PM »
Last year I ended my 15+ year subscription to DirecTV.  Since then we have been watching Over The Air (OTA) with antennas at both the condo and the motorhome on our 3 HD televisions. 

The only frustration has been that we have had to watch TV on schedule.  The national news really is on at the same time every day!  We were very addicted to the DVR process and skipping through commercials.   And, sometimes, we have had to stay awake at 10 PM!

A few weeks ago I bought a new product called the Channel Master DVR+.  It is so new, you can only buy direct from Channel Master.  Demand is high and I had to wait through a back order.  I had it delivered to us in Tucson and have used it across the country to Hilton Head.   If you are an electronics junkie and follow the January CES show, the DVR+ got headlines for being the first box that got it right for cable cutters.

http://www.channelmaster.com/Default.asp

The DVR+ presents a “guide” just like cable and satellite boxes and you have a “record” button on the remote.   It is very small and thin like a iPad or Kindle.  The connections are few and all on the back.  Coax antenna in, power in, an optional network connection and an HDMI to the TV.  There are two USB ports to plug in an optional generic hard disk and an optional wifi button. 

The optional hard disk is for recording lots of TV and the network, or WiFi, is for getting an enhanced and extended guide from the internet.  I have a WiFi connection and a recycled 500GB Western Digital HDD plugged in.  The DVR+ functions with a three day guide and will record a few hours of TV without the options.   My WiFi connection is to a 3G Verison MiFi “hotspot”.  With the options you get a 2 week guide.  You can use a typical external HDD like you would buy at Costco for backups that is as big as you want. 

Set up is not quite as nice as a fully automatic KVH antenna finding DirecTV signals but, operation is relatively simple.  On travel days I turn my entire entertainment system off with a powerstrip.  There is not an “in motion” option here anyway.  At arrival I turn it on and with the remote put in a new zip code, check the time zone, point the antenna and direct it scan for channels.  Pointing the antenna can be based on where others in the park have pointed theirs, a guess or a website.   On the Seeking Southern Comfort trip there was a town with no broadcast TV so I skipped the news and read a book.  Here at Hilton Head it is full of trees and I'm getting the networks when most of the other Beavers with satellite are tree blocked.

There are two tuners in the DVR+ so you can watch one show while recording another or record two shows.   If you use a Radio Shack type coax splitter for the antenna connection you could use the TV tuner to watch a show while recording two others. 

Picture quality is outstanding.  DirecTV’s version of HD for most channels is compressed to fit available bandwidth.  By law, when the TV stations were directed by the Federal Government to switch to HD, they had to broadcast at “full 1080p”.  Brian Williams really does look a little more “bright eyed” on an OTA signal. 

At the top I said I was a long time DirecTV customer.  At about $750 a year average for service, we've given them about $11,000!  The DVR+ is priced to equal about 3 months of DirecTV service.  I am having fun watching recorded network TV again, but now for free.  With a fraction of what we are not sending to DirecTV, we have bought a couple boxed sets of acclaimed drama series like The Sopranos and Mash.  RedBox is everywhere and a good source for a few recent releases. 

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 10:13:08 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Recording TV Shows without Cable or Satellite
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 10:29:49 PM »

Thanks for the info Bill.

-Joel and Lee

Addendum:  I see after viewing Bill's link to Channel Master that the DVR's output is HDMI, not coax.  So it couldn't go in front of the splitter, nor could any standard converter I have or am aware of be spliced between it and an NTSC television.  Bummer, at least for the motor home TV's.  However there are alternatives such as this:  http://www.amazon.com/Viewtv-Converter-Recording-Function-Composite/dp/B00GGVPKKC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1394834765&sr=8-6&keywords=channel+master+dvr%2B 
though it has no allowance for recording and watching different shows simultaneously on NTSC TV's.
 And for now the Channel Master DVR+ is at a steep price point, so will keep an eye out for competition to kick that down a bit over the next year.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 10:14:12 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 02:31:52 AM »
Quote from: Joel Ashley
I see after viewing Bill's link to Channel Master that the DVR's output is HDMI, not coax....
Yes, that is correct.  It is aimed at owners of the current crop of flat panel HD TVs.  Just like current cable and satellite boxes the normal connection to the TV for HD is an HDMI cable.  If you have an older NTSC dependent CRT type TV, this would be a bad choice.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 01:23:14 PM »

I'm trying to refer to current HD TV hardware like the ones you buy now at Best Buy or Wal-Mart.  I'm not referring to the ones we bought 8 years ago without digital tuners. 

FWIW, our MH had one of those flat panel SD TVs without HDMI.  It needed an add on tuner for the digital change over.  I got rid of it. 

The DVR+ from Channel Master that I have has only been for sale for a couple months.  As I wrote, it does not have an output for any SD TV that does not have an HDMI port.  It is getting some "buzz" in the electronics world as a useful device for cable cutters.

The point of my post was to talk about and introduce an uncommon approach to TV watching.  It has three parts.  1.  It uses an over the air antenna.  2.  It presents an on screen guide of the style we are accustomed to with satellite and cable TV subscriptions.  3.  It allows you to record shows and watch them when you want. 

I am not promoting it, I don't have stock in the company and am not suggesting it for anyone that really likes DirecTV or Dish.  If you have a post digital switch over TV, like to record shows on a hard disk DVR, enjoy time shift viewing and don't use DirecTV or Dish, this may be an alternative.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 10:15:19 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »

Wayne Tull

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 03:02:53 PM »
I have had the DVR+ since January this year and other than a startup problem with it not working with a gigabit router, which they provided a software fix for.  That problem allowed me to experience their customer service and found it a good experience.  This is my second channel master DVR and it is much improved from last with the exception of it's menu function, but still acceptable. The features I like most about this version is the size and being able to choose my own storage device.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 10:16:09 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 04:36:52 AM »
I know this an old thread but I have been interested in streaming with Roku, tv lately it is relatively simple and free for the most part if you have for instance a Land Line phone and a router. The Roku unit can be had in their third edition for about a hundred bucks. You can stream movies and news and sports. Sometimes a day late but free. Only thing is you cannot used a shared wifi as you use too much band width nor can you afford to use a verizon hot spot you would eat up your band width too quickly. I noticed Peak Internet in Corvallis Oregon who is a large internet provider in Oregon is renting Roku with their internet connections.