Author Topic: battery hookup  (Read 12994 times)

Frank Bannert

battery hookup
« on: March 15, 2014, 10:16:46 PM »
Can  anyone tell me or show me a picture of the way the chassis batteries are hooked up on 330 cat 3126. Desperate and keep blowing 250 amp fuses,

Thanks Frank

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: battery hookup
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 11:19:23 PM »
Most battery configurations will be similar, though some have a couple more house batteries.  Here is a photo of our C9 bank if it will help.  The two 12 volt chassis bats on the left side are in parallel, then the four 6 volt coach bats are wired in pairs in series so each pair puts out 12 volts, then those two 12 volt sets hook up in parallel so there is plenty of amp storage capacity still being pushed by 12 volts total.  If you happen to use 12 volt deep cycle house bats rather than 6 volt ones, then none are hooked together in series - all are parallel.

To get two 6 volt bats to add together for 12 volts, i.e. - in series, you must connect them with a short cable between one's positive post and the other's negative;  that way the 6 volts of one flows into the other and produces 12 volts at the other end.  In parallel, the 12 volt sources (whether individual batteries or two 6 volt ones wired additively in series), are hooked together positive post to positive post and negative to negative.  In my photo, anything with a red sealing sleeve on the end is at a positive battery post.

You may be hooking your 12 volt starting bats together in series, with 24 volts output.  Make sure you don't have the positive of one chassis battery wired to the negative of the other.  If you've had the battery wiring apart, and reassembled, then misassembly is likely the problem.  But there could be a hard-grounded starter or alternator involved instead.

Joel
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 11:31:54 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 11:36:46 PM »
No matter how you do it, the two big wires that disappear into the motorhome should measure 12 volts.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 12:03:57 AM »
Quote from: Frank Bannert
Can  anyone tell me or show me a picture of the way the chassis batteries are hooked up on 330 cat 3126. Desperate and keep blowing 250 amp fuses,

Thanks Frank

You must be connecting your chassis batteries in series, ending up with 24 volts. Joel has it right on, chassis go positive to positive and neg to neg then to switch or starter. There are a ton of diagrams in the internet google battery hookups.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 12:29:09 AM »
Here's something simple to copy and keep around:
-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 01:43:05 AM »
Great diagram but they should have labeled what the output would be with the various hookups.I once saw a set hooked up as Series/Parallel/Series, 8 6 volts, two groups of four in series with the groups in parallel making 24 volt to the starter.

Frank Bannert

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 06:07:21 PM »
Thanks guys for all the help. I have not been able to get out there this morning. It is raining here. But I am going to pull the hot wire off the starter and see if the fuse gets hot and if it does I will pull the hot wire off the alternator and start it and see what happens. The 250 amp fuse are not to bad $4.99 ea.

Frank
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 02:39:10 AM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »

Edward Buker

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 06:53:33 PM »
Frank,

Which battery set is feeding the fuse that is actually blowing? You should have a fuse coming from both the house battery set and the chassis battery set. If it is the chassis battery then the starter could possibly be involved but that is not very likely. The alternator usually has an isolator in series with it going to the battery banks and even if it was shorted it would not blow that main fuse given current could not typically flow from the battery set back to the alternator. This is especially true if the starter and alternator behaved normally the last time you used the coach.

What needs to be established before anything is if you have the batteries wired right.  If you measure at the post where the main red wire heads to the coach wiring, do you get 12V between that post and ground which can be measured using either the main metal frame or the negative battery post that has the main ground lead that heads to the coach frame on it. If you are getting 12V and are then blowing fuses, once you tell us which battery set is feeding that fuse 12V,  we may be able to come up with what you might look at next.

Later Ed