Author Topic: Step Question  (Read 5126 times)

Dick Simonis

Step Question
« on: March 19, 2014, 10:20:49 PM »
Every once in a while I find that it's inconvenient to have the steps extend such as when we are parked alongside a concrete pad that is above grade.  When this happens the steps hit the pad after I air down the coach.  It struck me last week when we were at Happy Trails that it would be nice to easily disable the auto extend feature but replacing the switch with a 3 way that had a center off position.

Has anyone else thought about doing something along these lines and, if so, what ideas did you have?

Thanks.

Dick

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Step Question
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 01:17:45 AM »
I've run into the same situation, Dick.  With the switch ON, the step light stays on all the time and the step moves in and out with the door, which controls it via the door frame magnet switch.  I've never been sure of the advantage to that other than the somewhat feeble step illumination when returning home at night.  In a dark, evergreen covered Forest Service campground it is OK but uses precious battery power.  When the switch is OFF, the step stays out unless the ignition is on with the door closed.

My thoughts were a separate switch just inside the door frame, spliced into the magnet switch to fool the system into thinking the door is closed and leave the main switch ON.

But then it got beyond my confusion tolerance   ??)

But yes, since apparently the OFF position is actually telling the controller to put out the step regardless, a 3rd switch position that doesn't connect the switch battery wire to that OUT contact might help.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Randy Perry

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 12:56:03 AM »
Just replaced my entire step and of the (4) wires that power the unit, I would think you could interupt the (red) power wire and install a swith near or below the existing step switch. Last time I was under the nose of the coach, I think you can get to area without a problem (I think)

Jim Shaw

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 05:59:04 PM »
Randy, where did you get your new step? I think I need one and it is a single step.
Jim

Dick Simonis

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 12:54:15 AM »
Thanks guys, I'm going to look into this a bit further since out MH is so low to the ground when aired down this is a common issue for us.  I was hoping to find a three way (center off) switch but I'm not adverse to adding one to simply disable the step.  However, I still need to insure that it automatically retracts with an engine start.

Randy Perry

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 04:31:04 AM »
Quote from: Jim Shaw
Randy, where did you get your new step? I think I need one and it is a single step.
Jim

Jim, I replaced my Kwickee step with a Kwickee step. I bought it through www.pplmotorhomes.com for $375 for a single step. It was an exact match, though my old bent and worn step was a 2005 model, so not the original. I found the model with the same bolt pattern and the wiring was the same.

Robert Mathis

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 01:24:28 PM »
It might be safer and easier to put a switch in the wire from the magnetic door switch to the controller. It should be a ground wire. Check the continuity with door open and closed.

Jim Shaw

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 12:09:08 AM »
Thanks for the information Randy.