Author Topic: Problem with peeling veneer  (Read 3762 times)

Bobby Kirk

• BAC Member
Problem with peeling veneer
« on: April 22, 2014, 05:35:42 PM »
I have a 2006 marquis. The inlays on my frig doors is coming loose on the corners and curling up. If I heat
this spot will it make it easier to glue it. Thanks

Bobby Kirk
2006 Marquis

Gerald Farris

Re: Problem with peeling veneer
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 06:11:03 PM »
Bobby,
Carefully warming, but not heating the area some may help. However, the secret to repairing a peeling veneer is to properly clamp it while the glue dries.

Gerald

Keith Oliver

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 07:18:38 PM »
Bobby:  On my boat, on a Norcold fridge, I replaced the dated covering on the doors with brushed stainless. It was far less expensive than I expected and amounted to a welcome update to the look.  The plastic frame that holds it all together comes off in 2 minutes, as it is only screwed on.  
I am surprised that Beaver used cheap veneer in that location, but I noted the cheapness of the wood on the fridge in my Contessa, compared to the rest of the cabinetry.

Bobby Kirk

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 08:37:03 PM »
What is the catch to get the panels off the frig??
2006 Marquis

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 08:40:56 PM »
I suspect that the veneer is from the fridge manufacturer and not Beaver.  Replacing it with sheet stainless is a great idea, though Marquis' probably evoke by design more woodwork than most.

Since our '06 Monterey has stainless Dometic fridge doors with no trim, I regret I can't advise on how yours goes together, Bobby.  Perhaps you can get clamps on flat boards around the edges of the open door(s) and get the veneer glued back down.  I tried heating old veneer once to get it laid back down, but it didn't stay for long.  I think once the old glue lets go from ambient heat and humidity, and dries out after curling back, it needs new glue.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat