Author Topic: Where is fuse for my Solar Panel Charge controller  (Read 8242 times)

Bill Brown

Where is fuse for my Solar Panel Charge controller
« on: April 29, 2014, 01:46:55 AM »
I am having a problem with my house batteries boiling almost continually, even when not connected to commercial power.  I believe the problem may be with my solar panel charge controller.  I have turned both the house and truck battery control switches to the off position, but the house batteries continue to boil.  I would like to pull the fuse to the solar panel charge controller however don't seem to be looking in the proper location for the solar controller.   I have located the RV-45D Charge Controller, but do not see a separate controller for the solar panels.   What should I be looking for; might the solar panel controller be incorporated in the RV-45D;  or might there just be a couple bad batteries?  or?   We are in the Coeur D Alene area, can someone recommend a good RV Service Tech in the area?

Thanks for any assistance

Bill Brown
06 Beaver Monterey, Laguna IV
CAT-C-9, 400 HP

Steve Jewell

Re: Where is fuse for my Solar Panel Charge controller
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 04:15:36 AM »
Bill,  If you check the batteries at night or cover the solar panels that should tell you if that's the problem.

Steve J

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 07:55:49 AM »
Good luck finding the fuse, Bill.  Even BCS couldn't find the one on our '06 Monterey some years ago when I asked.  The controller is on the left wall of the waste tank bay with the Alladin modules, basement thermostat, etc.  theoretically the fuse should have been with or on the controller, but couldn't be found.

As Steve says, I cover the panel when disconnecting the batteries to avoid sparking.  That's why I wanted to know where the fuse was. You should check the battery voltage with a meter before and after covering;  it may help indicate if the solar controller is for sure the culprit.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Brown

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 03:07:35 PM »
Joel & Steve,

Thanks for your quick replys.  Yes, Joel I too looked over the area near the waste tanks hunting for the solar controller.  I expect I will cover the panels today to try to confirm the charger problem.  Next step may be to take the coach over to RnR RV in Spokane.  Thank again for your quick replys.

Bill

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 05:32:43 PM »
Is this not the solar charge controller? I'm going to the coach today and will look for a fuse.

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 11:29:59 PM »
Yes that is it, though my model may be different.  Bill, your RV-45D is your solar controller.  Keep in mind that if you change battery types, the controller needs to have its dip switches changed accordingly.  Perhaps that's the problem with the boiling?

With the controller cover removed, in the back is a plate with a Temp Comp switch that should be ON (to the left), 4 dip switches where #2 is the only one off if you use lead acid batteries, and #2 and #3 are off with AGM batteries, and a MODE switch that should be on EQ (equalization mode) for lead acid bats or on FL (float mode) for AGM's because glass mats can't handle equalization charge cycling.

-Joel
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 11:40:05 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 11:54:26 PM »
From my manual:
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Brown

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 12:52:10 AM »
Stan & Joel,

Yes, that is the Charge Controller I have.  I have not changed battery types or even batteries for that matter.  The problem began sometime this winter and has progressively gotten worse.  I did cover the panels today and the boiling has subsided.  I had been getting good battery levels indicated on my Alladin Electrical screen, though now both house and truck batteries show a much lower charged state.  It may be that it is just time to replace all my batteries.  Our batteries came with the coach when we bought it back in May of 2010.  I have no idea what their actual age may be.  BCS did a battery check for me back in January and said they were good.  That's why I believe there may be a Charge Controller problem.

I am interested in hearing if there really is a fuse for the solar controller, though it appears it is not something meant to be removed without quite a bit of work, i.e. removal from the back wall in order to remove the cover.

Thanks again for all your assistance.

Bill Brown
06 Beaver Monterey, Laguna IV
CAT C-9, 400HP

Leon Scroggins

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 05:31:13 PM »
I too have looked high and low for the fuse. My reason is because the Aladdin Monitor is now showing XXXX-XXX for readings for the solar and battery status. The posted manuals(Thanks) for trouble shooting this problem say to first check that the 5 AMP Fuse is not blown. The wire schematic shows the fuse line coming out of the DCI Module but my tracing of the wires did not turn it up! Any other suggestions?