Author Topic: Leaks from above the entry door  (Read 5482 times)

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Leaks from above the entry door
« on: May 07, 2014, 05:35:40 AM »
We have had an intermittant leak from somewhere above the entry door for some time.  It became more noticable as winter set in.  One of my pet peeves are the clearance lights and the leaks they cause but other than some cracking in the lenses these lights seemed just fine and well sealed.
We spent the spring trying to find LED versions of these slimline recessed lights but they just dont exist.  Were it not for BCS, seems these lights would not be available at all so we finaly ordered all new replacements OEM from Mike in parts.
I got the front lights installed and was shocked to find just how bad these seemingly decent lights were.  I will try to include a couple pictures.  Suffice it to say had I not just decided to replace them all I would never have known that all were broken in half clear through the backing plate and lens.  Some so bad they fell apart in my hands.
For all those who have learned this lesson before and all our new members, use this as an example that things aren't always what they seem.
What do you think, maye I found our leak?
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Richard Cooper

Re: Leaks from above the entry door
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 07:09:37 AM »
How much did they charge for each of those LED versions of the clearance lights?  Did you do the back ones too?

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 10:27:24 AM »
Richard, BCS could not find these in LED and neither could we so we bought new original incandesant lights for both the front and rear.  I believe they were around $10 each.

Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 10:30:36 AM »
Sorry folks but I have been unable to get the pictures to take on the forum.  Will try to resize and post later.

I do have a few helpful tips for this project if anyone will be attempting it.  I would be happy to post themif there is interest.

Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 04:21:38 PM »
Richard,

I have posted this before, I believe. I changed all of my clearance lights, front, rear, and bottom to LED using a conversion kit sold by Bargman. (they went out of business and were bought out by a place in Georgia...I think)

You can get the entire thing in red or amber which you have to re-wire.  http://www.bargman.com/content/products.aspx?lvl=3&parentid=8400&catID=8420&part=47-58-001 for the 58 series or http://www.bargman.com/content/products.aspx?lvl=3&parentid=8400&catID=8420&part=42-59-401 for the 59 series.

Or you can just use this conversion kit and "plug in" the LEDs to the existing wiring. http://www.bargman.com/content/products.aspx?lvl=3&parentid=8400&catID=8420&part=42-59-410

I'd post pictures of the coach with them, but they look just like the OEM. I don't have a picture in the dark, but they are nice and bright!

There is a dealer locator via zip code on the web site, so I put in 98003 for Federal Way and a whole bunch came up.

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Donald and Iris Lucke

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 08:44:01 PM »
We had a bad leak above the door and finally found it to be the entry light.  The bulb was too large and had melted a hole in the lens.  Don Lucke

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 11:22:10 AM »
Stan, we had to go with new OEM (not LED) lights available from BCS because the lights on your link wont seat into the recessed part of the cap.  The screw holes were also differently spaced and that just meant more holes up there.  The Marquis lights are 1 1/2 inch top to bottom and there is not moch room left especialy on the rear cap.

Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 11:28:57 AM »
Donald, we did look at the outside light as well as that same thing happened on our last coach.  Thanks

By the way.  In removing the lights I found that some of the large center holes were drilled too high for the light to cover and so left a gap at the top.  Since the original install did not use a gaskett, there was no margin for error and all that was covering the whole was some silicone.  I realy hate!!!!! silicone grrr!
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 11:11:29 PM »
Never ever use silicone if at all possible.  Use a clear UV resistant polyurethane. Do not use any exterior caulk that states WATER cleanup. Our coaches flex to much for silicone and thin applications tend to peel.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 04:59:04 PM »
Never ever use silicone if at all possible.  Use a clear UV resistant polyurethane. Do not use any exterior caulk that states WATER cleanup. Our coaches flex to much for silicone and thin applications tend to peel.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 09:00:37 PM »
Lexel, available at ACE, is an excellent substitute for silicone.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp