Author Topic: hydro hot solution  (Read 11281 times)

Roger Baldwin

hydro hot solution
« on: February 27, 2010, 04:12:20 PM »
Our hydro hot is not working well and we checked and saw the solution tank is empty. We have shut it down.  We did not have a warning of any kind.  We need to refill this tank but our manual only says it is a solution of antifreeze and water, but not the dilution amount.  Is this standard antifreeze and is it a 50/50 mix?  Heating with electric heaters for now.  Also, looks difficult to fill because of the proximity to the top, but we have an antifreeze hand pump that should work. Model # HHE 500-04M. Also, Gerald, do you know if any certified techs will be at the Rally in Albuquerque at American RV?  We probably need a tune up and would like to call now and make an appt. because they are so busy during the rallies.

Thanks,
Roger Baldwin
2001 Patriot Thunder

Gerald Farris

Re: hydro hot solution
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 04:43:07 PM »
Orman Claxton is a BAC member, and he is an Aqua-Hot certified tech. You can contact him, through the forum or personally (info. is in the directory) to see if he will doing service there.

Gerald  

Jerry and Kay Hudson

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 04:46:11 PM »
Roger Burke is a good guy...you can locate him at www.rvhydronicheaterrepair.om. he is alxo a good source for tune up parts, etc. He alos has the Camco solutin for refilling. He is right outside tucson at the moment.

Jerry and Kay Hudson
2002 Contessa

Roger Baldwin

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 04:46:45 PM »
Thanks Gerald, do you know the dilution rate and what kind of antifreeze we could put in the overflow for now?
Roger

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 05:19:01 PM »
Aqua-Hot changed to non-toxic coolant on their units to prevent dangerous contamination of drinking water in case of a leak in a heat exchanger, but I am not sure when the change was made. I think that Aqua-Hot recommends propylene glycol-based, boiler-type antifreeze in all of their units, but I am not positive, since I have a Hurricane heater, and seldom work on Aqua-Hot units.

Orman may be of more help here.

Gerald

george starkweather

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 06:52:02 PM »
Roger ,I just had my Hydro Hot serviced at Benson, AZ by RVMD out of Tucson.  The mixture is 50 % solution to 50 % water.  The jet nozzle should bereplaced every year.

Hope this helps.  

George Starkweather

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 08:45:39 PM »
Roger-

Get Camco -100 Boiler Antifreeze (not just any old antifreeze!!).  I often find it at True Value hardware stores and not at Camping World (go figure), and it has always been cheaper there than at most RV supply stores.  Then mix it 50/50 with water, preferrably distilled but that's optional if not convenient, before adding to the tank.  Fill the tank only to the "Cold" mark, since you haven't been running it.  Then watch it after the unit has run for awhile and warmed up to make sure it's at the right fill level.

Depending on how much your system is depleted, you may or may not need a second gallon of boiler antifreeze;  mixing it 50/50 I'd think not.  But the stuff can be hard to find, so be sure you buy enough to carry extra with you for later top-ups.  Better to have more than enough than not enough, and if you buy the boiler antifreeze locally you can always take the second gallon back.

Regarding the tune-up, I tried to do mine last year after some coaching from Beaver Service Center techs, and once I understood the mechanism, changing the nozzle and cleaning soot wasn't tough.  But it was a mell of a hess changing the filter.  BSC parts sold me the wrong one for starters, so be sure you write down the info straight off your existing one before getting a new one;  filters for these things often get changed mid-build, so parts books can be wrong.  Then our filter was hard to reach, and diesel went everywhere around and underneath the HydroHot, even though I tried to be careful removing the thing.  At least as far as the filter goes, which all the techs said was a piece of cake, I'd not try changing it again myself - mopping up that mess, then leaving the bay door open for days to air out diesel fumes (and listening to the buscuit burner complain of the smell) was not worth it.

Joel
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 08:55:53 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 11:13:07 PM »
The Hydro-Hot that came in my 2002 Patriot Thunder came with 50/50 mix regular ol ethylene-glycol anti-freeze per the instructions that I have that came with the coach. To get you by just add a 50/50 mix of same. If it will make you feel more comfortable, after you have filled it and the level stays the same you could always change to non- toxic after you know it is not leaking. My coach is eight years old and I have not had any problems with the Hydro-Hot. Marty

Roger Baldwin

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 11:54:50 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  We drove 90 miles north to Nocodoges, TX to an RV dealer and bought a gallon.  We mixed it 50/50 and pumped it into the overflow and filled it to the cold line.  It has been running and has not gone down so hopefully the problem is solved.  We'll watch it closely for a few days and then check often. We'll make sure we always have some with us from now on and have already scheduled service with an authorized service rep when we get to the rally in Albuquerque.  Your a brave man Joel, I don't think I would attempt to service it myself and after your story, I know I wouldn't attempt it.  
Regards,
Roger

George Harwell

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 12:50:15 PM »
The big question is: where did the coolant go? I haven't heard of anyone stealing fluid so it must be leaking somewhere. As you said above you have to keep an eye on the tank level. I found loose clamps on my new 03 Monterey shortly after purchasing it. My owners manual also recommends 50/50 ethlyene glycol although I have seen units requiring boiler fluid. It changes year to year. I too do my own servicing and find it to be relatively easy, just messy sometimes. Good luck!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 09:31:28 PM »
Roger-

George is right;  you should check any hydronic system fittings you can conveniently get at, and make sure the clamps are snug (some may not be adjustable), and that there aren't any cracks somewhere.  If the system had never been serviced in 9 years, it is overdue by a long shot, and fluid may have slowly "disappeared" over that time;  but one would assume conversely that it had been checked from time to time.  Check visible lines in bays and under cabinets/sinks and at accessible heat vent/fans, just to be sure there isn't something recent and radical going on that you need to attend to before the Albuquerque service.  And of course make sure the service tech is aware of the history.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jim Shaw

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 02:46:37 AM »
I was losing fluid in my 2003 Monterey and found the tube to the to the overflow tank was leaking so replaced it and was OK for awhile. Then started loing fluid again and found the pressure cap was bad so replaced the cap and have had no futher problems.
Jim Shaw
2003 Monterey

Orman Claxton

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 05:22:36 AM »
Roger
I have sent you a personal Email, It seems you have all under control at least for now. for now.
By the way, I believe your unit 2001 Patroit thunder has/had regular antifreeze.
Orman Claxton