Author Topic: Voltage drop on dash meter?  (Read 5244 times)

Gordon Webster

Voltage drop on dash meter?
« on: May 10, 2014, 12:11:31 AM »
I have another problem with my new-to-me 2002 Contessa. It shows about 13.3 volts on the dash gauge but if I turn on anything it drops dramatically. The headlights drop it to about 10.5 volts.
The charger portion of the inverter that should cause the chassis batteries to charge once the house batteries reach a full charge does not work either. Could this be part of the same problem?
Oddly enough I have met two other Beaver owners in campgrounds and both tell me theirs does the same thing so they just live with it. I can't believe this is correct because this is my 4th diesel pusher and I've never heard of such a thing.
Any suggestions?

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Voltage drop on dash meter?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 12:34:45 AM »
There have been many discussions here in the Forum related to Echo Charger failures, some not very long ago.  Go to the Search button at the top of this screen and see what comes up when you enter Echo Charger.

I don't have an Echo Charger on my coach, since the charger is built into my Magnum inverter, and I'm not certain which system your model has.  But many here have experiences like yours and will likely be able to assist.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 05:22:34 AM »
As you add load at the dash the voltmeter on the dash will respond measuring lower voltage. What is important is what the voltage is at the batteries. Put a good load on at the dash and let the dash voltmeter drop with the engine running at high idle. At the same time use a hand held meter and measure the voltage at the chassis battery. If that is 13.8V or higher (assuming that the batteries were not overly discharged) and the dash voltage is lower it just means that there is voltage drop in the wiring harness at the end of the run at the dash and that is normal. The wiring is a long run and is not like your car length wise.  If the battery voltage is low also then you could have an alternator or battery issue that should be checked out.

Later Ed

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 04:47:21 PM »
Gordon,
The Silverleaf will give you much more accurate readings than the dash gauges. As Gerald stated a number of times, the dash gauges are "for entertainment only".
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gordon Webster

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 01:28:12 AM »
I checked voltage at the batteries with engine off (12.5v) and then with engine running(13.9v). Also turned on headlights and there was no change at the batteries.
Then checked the voltage at the driving lights and got 12.9v until headlights were turned on and it dropped to 10.7v.
Conclusion: Voltage gauge is correctly measuring voltage at front of coach while batteries are receiving full voltage charge from the alternator. The only problem is dim headlights.
Obviously it needs a heavy gauge wire from a full voltage source to a relay operated by the headlight switch that would route that full voltage to the lights.
Just wasn't wired correctly at the factory it would appear.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 01:39:14 AM »
Gordon-

Many here have utilized a video produced by club members Roy Mueller and Bill Sprague that instructs how to upgrade the headlight feed using new relays.  Sounds like you could benefit.  I had mine upgraded by Beaver Coach Service a couple of years ago and it wasn't costly;  but the video shows how to do it yourself if you so prefer.  I intended to do it myself, but BCS is so experienced they can do it very fast to minimize labor cost, and the parts are inexpensive;  so I just let them do it while I was in for regular maintenance.

There are 2 parts to the video;  here's a link to get you started:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmYyoILEhMY&feature=youtu.be

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 03:35:43 AM »
Gordon,
A write up of the headlight fix is also available. Go to the Members Only section at the bottom of the Forum, select the "Sticky" for Coach Assist and click on the link in the email.  The fix write-up is located in the Wiring Diagrams section.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gordon Webster

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 01:20:22 PM »
Thanks guys. The video and write up are great and will save me quite a bit of time installing relays. I'm quite surprised a good coach builder would still be wiring all the lights through the headlight switch in 2002. I had a 1993 Winnie Vectra that did that but I sure didn't expect a 2002 model of anything not bottom end cheap would have such poor electrical design.