Author Topic: Power Video Cable  (Read 4176 times)

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Power Video Cable
« on: May 16, 2014, 02:55:42 AM »
How do you operate the power cable?  I don't see any switches and the cable comes out a few inches (by hand, not powered) and then seems tight.  Whats the power part and how does it work.  
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
Re: Power Video Cable
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 08:51:56 PM »
Jerry,

The TV cable is not power operated unless someone has installed an aftermarket unit.  Originally, my coach came with a manually operated TV cable, but broke very quickly after my purchase as a new coach.  I cannot believe you have one still on your coach...
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 10:03:01 PM »
Quote from: Karl Welhart
Jerry,

The TV cable is not power operated unless someone has installed an aftermarket unit.  Originally, my coach came with a manually operated TV cable, but broke very quickly after my purchase as a new coach.  I cannot believe you have one still on your coach...

It is labeled as in the title above leading me to believe it is power operated, maybe not!  It does not have any switches on or near it just the words "Power Video Cable" on the panel.  It does not pull out very far until I feel resistance causing me to sop pulling for fear of breaking something.  It also does not go back in very easily.  Just curious its not a big deal.  Thanks you.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 11:02:08 PM »
Jerry,
The "power video cable" reel is spring powered. It operates like a spring operated window shade. You pull it out and gentle let off the pressure and it will latch in place. To retract it, you just pull out a little and let off the cable and the spring will retract the cable.

Most of these reels no longer function because of corrosion in the latching system or corrosion in the brush contacts that will not allow the video signal to clearly pass through.

Gerald

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 01:40:28 AM »
If you deem your unit to have failed as Gerald suggests, you might consider adding a simple hand reel as I did.  I made steel 'L' brackets and had to do some finagling to get the reel/bracket combo screwed into place, but it works like a champ.

The (not obvious in photo) 2 ft or so short lead goes from the outlet up to the coax L fitting seen in the reel hub after pulling off the length of needed cable.  The coiled coax shown is merely handy extra cable for that rare event where the amount on the reel isn't enough to reach the park source.  Note I also use push-on coax connectors;  I got tired of trying to align and thread finger-unfriendly connectors on and off when setting up and breaking camp.
-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 06:19:45 PM »
Thanks Gerald and Joel.  Gerald may have even explained why my video signal was a little weak on our inaugural voyage. It looks like I'll have to figure out how to take that panel apart. Any advice about how to take it apart, mostly hazards involved, will be appreciated
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH