Author Topic: Deteriorating brake lines  (Read 2952 times)

Don Schoonover

Deteriorating brake lines
« on: June 23, 2014, 03:28:28 AM »
Have  a Beaver  Monterey, 1997, 300 HP Cat., and had the brake pads on one side wear faster than the other side. I had trouble with and older MH where the brake lines deteriorated from the inside and plugged the fluid return and created drag and fast pad wear. Has anyone had this problem on a Beaver  or it not a problem? :)

Gerald Farris

Re: Deteriorating brake lines
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 05:45:53 AM »
Don,
The brake hose issue is a possibility on a 1997 coach with hydraulic brakes, but it is not common. The most common reason for uneven brake wear on that model coach is dragging or sticking caliper slides or pistons. It should be fairly easy to determine if the problem is caused by mechanical friction or residual hydraulic pressure.  

Gerald

Don Schoonover

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 02:06:03 PM »
Thanks Gerald:  Have replaced the pads and lubed the slides real good.  Have not checked anything else yet till I get it back on the ground. Thanks again
 :)

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 03:05:28 PM »
Don,

You have identified a very important issue, regarding this brake lines and sticking caliper pistons. I think both can contribute to the problem.  However, IMHO the biggest factor is flushing and replacing the brake fluid every two or three years.  Flushing the brake fluid will help get rid of particles in the brake line and in the caliper.  Others that have posted in this forum have replaced their brake line.  That is always a good idea, especially in older motorhomes that have not flushed their brake system regularly.
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida