Author Topic: leveling jack rubbing on inside dual  (Read 3669 times)

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
leveling jack rubbing on inside dual
« on: May 14, 2014, 10:56:12 PM »
Anyone?
            I was checking out the rear leveling valves for the air springs (air bags), after work was done on the system by cat, and I noticed my left inside tire had rubbing marks the entire circumference of the inside side wall. I checked to see what was rubbing on the tire, and immediately saw the left leveling jack pad, which is hydraulic on this coach, was rubbing on the tire. The jacks were fully retracted. Now, I compared the right side jack and it was about 1 to 1 1/2 inches away from the tire and both jacks are mounted at the same height. The tires on the coach were put on in late January, and I can only assume the rubbing has been present since then, but am not 100% sure. My tire size is 295/80R22.5 Michellin XZA2, so I am eliminating tire size as a factor, especially since the ride side has plenty of clearance. Tire pressure at 105 psi, based on the weight on axle.
               So; a few possibilities:  Could the wheel be improperly seated, or could they have used a wrong sized wheel?
                Also;  If there is no relation to wheel causing this, I can only come up with having them remount the jacks to a lower position, since the jacks are mounted at their most upward position, and this will then give me clearance. Does this make sense.
                 I just don't see what would have caused this, short of looking at it when they have it on jacks. But speaking of jacks, Cat mechanic did have the coach on jacks with the jacks positioned on both front tires and both Duals, but no jacks on the tag. The leveling jacks are right beside the
 duals.
                OK!   Any Ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.                  Larry D
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15

Steve Jewell

Re: leveling jack rubbing on inside dual
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 02:05:22 AM »
Larry, If you measure from the frame rail to the tire both sides should be the same. There is more than likely something lose, misaligned or bent in the rear suspension. Josam is right down the street from you in Orlando. They are one of the best alignment places in the country for large vehicles.

Steve J

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 02:55:56 AM »
Steve:
           Thanks for the information. Cat will be checking it out tomorrow and hopefully they will find something and be able to resolve the problem. I have had the coach to Josam for alignment and shocks and I would think they would have found this. However, if cat can not resolve this, I may have to lower the jacks a bit to get the clearance to drive the coach to Josams. As it is right now, I do not want to drive the coach and compromise a tire, they are brand new as of January.
            Hopefully Cat can remedy this.

Once again, Thanks for your advice.                    Larry D
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
Cat C15

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 02:49:10 PM »
              I have or I should say, Cat found the problem with my left rear leveling jack. The backing plate on the leveling jack was apparently cracked at the two lower mount bolts and someone had welded the crack and did not straighten the backing plate. therefore with the jack backing plate being distorted and welded in this position, it shifted the jack far enough to make contact wit the tire. We concluded that after adjusting the coach air springs, due to one side being lower than the other, this further brought the jack pad closer to the tire and made slight contact against the tire. The jack is going to be removed and lines capped in order for me to find a facility to repair the backing plate on the jack.
               Steve: Thanks once again for your insight. I think I will try and locate a used jack from someone that may have gone to a different system and may perhaps have the jacks available. Besides, it may not be a bad idea to have a spare so as to progressively have them rebuilt if and when needed.

Larry D.
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
Cat C15