Author Topic: 3-M Protective Film  (Read 6264 times)

Joe McNary

3-M Protective Film
« on: March 04, 2010, 08:19:29 PM »
The 3-M Film which covers the front of our 5 year old coach is beginning to crack and thus degrades the appearance of our unit.  Is there anything that can be done to eliminate this deteriotion short of total replacement of such and/or possible repainting the front of the coach?  Thanks.   joe

Richard And Babs Ames

Re: 3-M Protective Film
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 12:03:25 AM »
Talked to several owners and service providers, when it goes it is a huge pain as there is no fix and it is terrible to remove. Hope someone has a better answer.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 05:13:35 AM »
In the auto repair business, we used to remove large decals with a spray adhesive release agent. It is slow and difficult, but it can be done. The up side is that if it is done right you do not have to repaint.

If there is a better way to replace the 3-M Shield, Beaver Coach Sales service department will know about it. Their Body and Paint Shop works with them on a regular basis. If you are not going to go through Bend any time soon, you can call them, and get a good idea what is involved before you talk to your local RV paint shop, but if it is possible to go to Bend you will probably be better off.  

Gerald

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 01:48:38 PM »
If in FL the old camp Monaco location at Wildwood-Alliance Coach  also has a full body shop and Brett Howard is a good contact. They support us also with an ad.  

Louis and Elise Williams

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 02:38:08 PM »
Alliance Coach in Wildwood, Fl has replaced the 3-M film on several coaches recently. You may contact Brett Howard or Mike Hawkings by calling 352-330-3800. From what I have seen it is, as stated, a fairly long and tedious job

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 11:14:53 PM »
Last October, I had the 3M removed from part of the front bumper of my coach by Richard Boatman at Bend RV Repair.  It was a strip about 6 inches high the width of the coach.  They used a heat gun, and just peeled it off in less than an hour.  I plan to remove the product above the front windshield myself.  

Larry

Jerry Pattison

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 07:21:47 AM »
Now I don't feel so bad about that dang armor on the front of the Diamante!!

Jim Bentley

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 11:44:29 AM »
Mine was severely cracked and the only way it would come off was scraping.  I use plastic scrapers with a spray on product called De-solve-it.  I bought it at Ace Hardware it is  user-friendly and you don't have to use gloves.  It probably took me four days to remove working four to six hours a day. Good luck