Author Topic: Echo Charger  (Read 35998 times)

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Echo Charger
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2014, 10:37:30 PM »
Yes, I may have missed the inverter-only AC side of the reasoning behind the 30 amp lead breaker in the second box, Ed.  I was coming off Gerald's idea that no such animal would be needed, and probably didn't word my concept exactly right.  Such a second 30 amp breaker protects the inverter against multiple circuits overtaxing it all at once when its inverting.

I also agree that Gary should be careful here, given the options available for breakers, and thanks for noticing that he'd already obtained a 240v one to put in a 120v application;  as Gary's own inverter installation diagram shows, that is to be a single pole 120v main breaker.  Ditto for my suggestion regarding GFCI breakers, as the link I supplied to Lowe's was only meant as an example.  Further perusal of that site will reveal multiple possibilities at many price points.  Gary needs to be sure of getting the appropriate devices, whether using built-in GFCI breakers or the less expensive regular ones backed up with downstream GFCI outlets.

My other concern is that both circuits fed by the inverter have 20 amp capable wiring and not 15 amp somewhere.  Perhaps I missed something in a prior post where he alluded to their wire size, he has matched them accordingly, and all is well in that dept.

I for one would feel most comfortable at the very least paying for an onsite consult with a licensed electrician familiar with RV applications, Gary.  It might expedite getting your Mrs. back home again to her nice (and safe) Beaver coach.

Joel
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 10:50:40 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Edward Buker

« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2014, 12:04:47 AM »
Gary,

Joel brought up a good point regarding your 20 amp breakers. If you can read the wire gauge labeled on the two Romex feeds to your current Inverter that should help. If it is 12/2 then use a 20 amp breaker, if you see 14/2 then use a 15 amp breaker. While this is not an exact method to select a breaker size, you know for sure that if a 14/2 gauge wire is involved that a 15 amp breaker should be used.

Later Ed

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2014, 12:15:31 AM »
I will have to wait til Monday to get the right 30A Breaker. I am not schooled on Electrical systems. I have read the manual over and over and I am confident I can wire it but Did not realize I had the wrong breaker. I guess I was more worried about finding a breaker box that would work and do not know the difference between breakers. Thanks to you guys I can finish the job. I have to I cannot unfortunately afford to hire an electrician and I will get it done. I thought it would be easier because of the others here that have done it Just goes to show you Beaver made changes even in the middle of a year model. Had I realized my coach was wired different than Others it may have affected my choice on inverters but I wanted one that was not outdated. I am somewhat familiar with the Freedom inverters as I had a 94 Safari and had mine in and out a couple times. I have replaced the Transfer switch as well. What threw me off was the Magnum was oneAC in and one AC out and my Freedom was one AC  in and two AC out. The only wiring diagram in the Magnum book  wired like my freedom was for a model 2012.  I will make sure I have the right components and wired properly before I test it. Thanks for your input Joel.

Edward Buker

« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2014, 02:23:11 PM »
Gary,

If you are so inclined, while you are at your supplier on Monday ask if he has an 8 circuit 4 space breaker box. The 8 circuit is possible with half width breaker but the standard size breakers would be best here. Outside rated boxes are a bit better, the bay area can get damp, and it may have the ground buss but inside rated will work fine also. They are a very common box size and they should have it in stock. This is an example of one that is 10 inches by 7 inches. What you will have will work but it is bigger and probably cost more money then a smaller box would.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_31378-76863-TL412R1_0__?productId=1082923&Ntt=4+space+8+circuit+breaker+box&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3D4%2Bspace%2B8%2Bcircuit%2Bbreaker%2Bbox&facetInfo=

Do not be concerned if the main buss that the breakers plug into is split and there are two main lug feeds like the single lug at the top of the buss in your photo. You can run a jumper between the two lugs, for our purposes a 10 gauge wire will be fine. That will enable power for all breaker positions providing 120V.

Later Ed

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2014, 03:58:38 PM »
Here are some photos of my sub panel box without the breakers. I will add a ground buss to the box  before wiring. (ED I will take the box with me and see if they have anything similar to what you showed. Unfortunately there is no home depot or lowe's here but we have a Platt's Electric wholesale supply. )
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 04:30:13 PM by 20609 »

Edward Buker

« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2014, 04:10:54 PM »
Gary,

The box you have now appears to be expandable by the look of the cover and that is why it is larger. It is a 4 position up to 8 circuit box as configured now. It is up to you if you want to seek something smaller or if you are happy. This box has a split main buss so it could be wired for 240V but for our use you would run a jumper wire between those two main lugs on the center buss structure to provide 120V on both halves of the buss. At least a 10 gauge wire or larger.

Just read your private message, we should probably keep this info on the forum thread for others. You can and need to keep your current transfer switch, the one in the Magnum is used to pass through or invert so it is a different function than the external one.
As far as the DC fuse you ordered for the Magnum at 400A, that is the max capacity of the Inverter but that may not be what the coach wiring is sized to handle. The job of that fuse is to protect the inverter from overload and pulling too much DC current and to protect the coach DC wiring. You need to find the main house DC fuse and see what the size is. I would stay with that fuse unless you have problems. Let me know when you find it or if one does not exist. If anyone else knows where it is please let us know.

Hope this helps.

Later Ed

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2014, 04:33:03 AM »
My friend went to an estate sale this morning and found a box. I think it might work so I took photos of it. It is alot smaller it takes 3 regular sized breakers and says 40 Amps Max. Takes 3 breakers and has a buss bar for neutral and one for ground. Here is what it looks like.

Edward Buker

« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2014, 05:20:18 AM »
Gary,

In you photo I cannot see if the copper is all tied together into one buss or not. If it is, it could work. You would have to find breakers that fit and be sure the cover knockouts fit those breakers. The cover is an integral part of mechanically holding the breaker in place and I cannot tell if the openings width wise fit whatever breaker you have selected.
Later Ed

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2014, 03:35:46 PM »
Ed the copper is all one piece. The 20 amp breakers fit perfectly and the cover fits like it is supposed to if the new 30 A single pole is the same width they will fit.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 03:53:34 PM by 20609 »

Edward Buker

« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2014, 03:56:02 PM »
Gary,

Should be good to go, the neutral buss is the raised ones on the plastic standoffs that is isolated from the box. Pretty sure you had that down pat but just in case.

You are getting close, the only thing that is up in the air is if you have a main DC fuse in the house bank lead to the inverter and what that fuse value is. Need to still sort that one out. You may want to call BCS if someone on the forum doesn't know.

Later Ed