Author Topic: Need Opinions On adding Air Leveling  (Read 10164 times)

steve zannella

Need Opinions On adding Air Leveling
« on: June 09, 2014, 08:11:20 PM »
I thinking of adding air leveling to my 2004 beaver marquis at hwh this summer. Currently the coach has rva hydraulics.
My intentions are a better leveling system on soft ground and boondocking.
My questions are;

Is air or hydraulic leveling more windshield friendly?

How much additional clearance do you get with the  ability to raise front or rear  air bags while moving at low speed.

Are there any other Benefits I'm missing?

Other than money, and new potential problems any downsides?

Dennis Crawford

Re: Need Opinions On adding Air Leveling
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 01:24:13 AM »
Steve,

I have had both on different Beaver coaches.  I prefer jacks.  Air leveling does just that...levels.  itdoes not provide any stability at all. Coach moves a lot.

Dennis

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 02:47:20 AM »
Steve,
My coach has both leveling systems, and I almost entirely use the air leveling system. Air leveling is definitely easier on the windshield. You will get some movement in the coach from wind, but it is not enough to bother me. There is also a little movement from people moving around in the coach, and if you are very sensitive to that you may want to see if that bothers you by airing the coach to travel height an spending a few hours or days in the coach without lowering the jacks. That is exactly how it will feel when air leveled.

The other things that I like about air leveling is that you never have to worry about jacks sinking into soft ground, or jacks damaging asphalt surfaces, especially in hot weather.

Gerald

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 03:25:29 AM »
I have both air leveling and 3-point hydraulic leveling jacks on my coach.  Both have automatic and manual selections.  When I park for one or two nights in one place, then I generally select the air leveling.  When I know I will be in one place for several nights, then I generally select the hydraulic leveling.  The hydraulic leveling is more firm in either a crosswind or when people move about the coach.  I could get by with either one and if I was to choose one over the other, then I would choose air simply because it's already there and uses the coach's existing suspension system.  Hydraulic leveling jacks are an added complexity and cost.  I know the coach engine will start and transmission will go into gear with the hydraulic jacks extended.  I know a person who tried moving his coach with the hydraulic jacks extended... and it cost him several thousand dollars for repairs.

The bottom line is:  Get whatever you want and can afford, but if you own one these expensive coaches, then just don't get in a hurry - check and double check everything BEFORE moving.  And don't get in a hurry while traveling down the road, especially in city traffic.  I rarely pass another vehicle in a city.  I just slow down and follow at a distance.  Anyone wanting to go faster than me is welcome to pass.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 03:49:50 AM »
One other thought:  I noticed when I use my 3-point hydraulic leveling jacks, if there is much side-to-side leveling required, then my windshield will shift enough to show an air space between the windshield's edge and the moulding in the upper driver's corner.  This must be putting a strain on the whole front end of the chassis.  The problem is with 3-point leveling jacks the front jack extends first to raise the front end up and onto a pivot point to allow the two rear jacks to twist the coach's whole length to level.  Obviously, this means the rear of the coach is over twisted and the front of the coach is under twisted.  It would be like placing a loaf of bread on a table and twisting it with one end.  Lots of stress is created.  I suspect air leveling does not put as much stress on the chassis because the bags are located fore and aft.  The aft bags twist the aft chassis while the fore bags twist the fore chassis.  And the bags should twist the whole chassis length simultaneously and generally in unison.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

MarcRodstein

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 03:56:35 AM »
Steve, last year I made an appointment to go to HWH and have air levelling installed on my brand new coach. I did it for the same reasons that you stated. But I cancelled the appointment after reading online reports of very long waits for technical assistance from HWH, as in, we will put you in line for a tech support callback, expect a 30-day wait. I felt that if that is the type of service they give then maybe I don't need the added complexity on my coach.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 06:48:12 AM »
Marc,
I have called HWH for technical assistance on 2 different occasions, and the last time was about 3 months ago. Even though I had to wait for a call back on both occasions, neither time took more than 3 or 4 hours. The HWH technical support is first class, and they try to help you sort out your problem without any pressure to rush you through the troubleshooting process.

Gerald

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 07:03:50 AM »
My experience with HWH is similar to Gerald's.  I don't know where you got your info. to the contrary, Marc, but they've been reasonably responsive and very helpful to me.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jim Skatzka

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 09:43:49 AM »
Ditto on Gerald and Joels response. I called them a couple of weeks ago and not only did they return the call promptly they sent out a mail confirmation of the conversation.  That was a new one for me.

Jim

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 06:14:43 PM »
Steve,

We have ONLY air leveling on our coach. As a newbie Beaver owner (just hit 2 years) it was one of the main reasons we chose the Beaver over a Travel Supreme (also a very fine coach). Our previous coach had hydraulic jacks only, and it was tough on me with 2 replacement hips. Crawling under the coach, and bending down are very difficult. Even when using one of the awning hooks to drag the blocks out, it was painful. With the air leveling...no blocks! We don't even notice the slight yaw from side to side while walking in the coach, and the wind has been no bother (except in Gillette last summer where we all were as close to being in a tornado as you could get without actually being in one! That was wild!)

I enthusiastically endorse air leveling!

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 11:17:16 PM »
How long does it take to return a call?  I talked to someone there and they said they would call me shortly.  Still waiting.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

steve zannella

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 12:03:36 AM »
Thanks to you all for your valuable experience, I'll have dig a 5 grand hole in my bank account and go visit HWH.

Steve

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 04:41:33 AM »
On this Patriot Thunder it is air only and does not move in the wind or when moving around in it. Has to be a strong wind to feel anything inside. One thing I have noticed is that it levels lower than coaches with jacks and if we are at a site that is level already I just dump the air and she sits down rock solid. Also without the hydraulic system and jacks makes the coach a little lighter and one less thing to go wrong.

Keith Oliver

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 04:42:43 AM »
Steve:

I didn't see any responses to your other questions, so:  I have only air on my 07 Dynasty (Patriot thunder is the same).  My driveway has a sharp change in angle from the road, so I need to raise the aft and lower the bow to make it without dragging the trailer hitch into the asphalt.  the aft end goes up about 4 inches and the front goes down about the same, so the trailer hitch actually rises about 6 inches.  As for stability, My old Contessa, with only jacks, was no more stable in a crosswind than the Dynasty.

steve zannella

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 10:27:06 PM »
Keith, I assume you have HWH leveling, if so how do you manipulate the air front to back while moving.
Thanks for responding.
Steve