Author Topic: Replace Single din with Double din???  (Read 4533 times)

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
Replace Single din with Double din???
« on: June 26, 2014, 09:32:16 PM »
Can anybody provide advice on replacing the single-din factory Kenwood radio in a 2004 Marquis with a double-din unit.  Local audio installer says "no problem" but it seems that's all dependent on how much stuff is packed into the dash around the radio.  Maybe also on what the support structure of the dash is made of (plastic or steel).

Please comment if you've done this, had it done or even attempted.  Given that single-din's are dying away I've got to think I'm not the only one considering this upgrade.

Thanks
Rick V
2004 Beaver Marquis, Garnet (3 slides)
43'
C12

Bill Dean

Re: Replace Single din with Double din???
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 11:42:21 PM »
I'm having my single-din Sony radio replaced by a double-din flat panel system w an integrated backup camera screen by RVOutfitters in Bend. Haven't decided on the make/model but looking forward to not trying to look up at the tiny & dim screen dangling from under the TV.
RVOutfitters simply requested that I email a photo of the dash so they could determine if the upgrade worked. They've apparently replaced a number of these before.

Tim Westman

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 04:27:57 AM »
Rick, I replaced our single with a double din in our '09 Contessa.  The install was clean but I thought it looked a little cramped and didn't have a nice frame of flat dash around it.  I guess it depends on how badly you want that particular radio or if you have any better option.

Tim Westman

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 12:51:01 AM »
Scheduled for install of double-din head unit on Sunday.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Keeping my fingers crossed.
Rick V
43'
C12

Les Brandt

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 04:19:15 PM »
Quote from: Rick Vyncke
Scheduled for install of double-din head unit on Sunday.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

How did it turn out?

An option would have been to go with single din and pop out big screen

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 12:41:36 AM »
Success!  Almost....

The installer was unable to remove the single-din Kenwood which ties into the Alladin system as well as outside cameras.  Instead he removed the video screen that was the navigation unit and installed a double-din Pioneer unit.  While I could have gotten one with Navigation I decided to purchase a separate Garmin NUVI.  The original navigation unit was sufficiently old as to be almost useless.

The stereo sounds awesome and the bluetooth integration with our phones is fantastic.  Even the Garmin portable Navi is better that factory.  Happy camper :)
Rick V
43'
C12