Author Topic: 2008 Contessa Entry Door  (Read 4608 times)

Dick Simonis

2008 Contessa Entry Door
« on: July 09, 2014, 06:33:55 PM »
OK, another question from our friends.

The entry door won't stay open.  This was noted before they left BCS but Travis told them it would be adjusted on their next trip though Bend...little disappointed it wasn't taken care off at that time.

So, is there an easy adjustment for the latch open position so CW doesn't need to tie the door handle to the mirror?  Looks a bit tacky but a slight breeze slams it closed.

Thanks for any advice.

Dick

LEAH DRAPER

Re: 2008 Contessa Entry Door
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 06:40:56 PM »
Dick.....this below was posted on a previous door issue

QUESTION/SOLUTION (from Beaver Tech forum)

Our 2006 Beaver, Monterey door won't stay open. The upper arm doesn't seem to catch/lock open. The door operates OK opening and closing ... just won't stay open with the slightest breeze. Any suggestions? Thanks much. Tom

ANSWER

Take a large crescent wrench and adjust it to fit the thickness of the bar.  Put it on the end of the bar and bend it up slightly.  
IT WON'T TAKE MUCH SO BE CAREFUL!!!!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 07:57:02 PM »
There can be more than one reason it closes so easily;  ours did it when it was new and it took a couple tries from BCS to get it right on a more permanent basis.  The wind-slamming door is not good on any related components, and probably not the window, which can lose its seal and start fogging.

Bending the scissor arms is tricky and with any other dealer could conceivably befoul any warranty repair;  but it's already a reported issue and BCS likely wouldn't begrudge it.  I'd first be sure the scissor mounting brackets are solidly screwed into place on both frame and door top.   Any looseness will make the detent and stop at the scissors hinge sloppy.

I'm surprised they were told it would be fixed next time - even though this is their busiest time of year, I think you said it was a recent BCS purchase so it should be a coach-prep commitment, plus this is the sort of issue that can lead to more damaged parts.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dick Simonis

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 08:47:35 PM »
Sounds like it's not a DIY but I'll wander over and looks for any looseness that may be causing the issue.  BCS not fixing this before they left Monday is a bit disappointing especially since a return isn't in their plans til next year.

Is the Monaco service in Coburg still open?  I wonder if they can have it done there and send BCS the bill?  I would hate to see the door damaged by suddenly being blown shut and tieing it to the mirror just doesn't seem right.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 09:02:16 PM »
You may be able to adjust the brackets, Dick, if looseness isn't the issue.  Seems like some of the screw holes were slotted.  But as I recall the screws were in there pretty good - it may take a "big gun" screwdriver.  I think one of my brackets is actually missing a screw, but it works okay anyway.  The scissors apparatus has to mesh just right in the center so the detent holds the dimple, but when I tried micro-adjusting mine it wasn't particularly easy.  Bending things can make it worse, and stress the pivots;  plus you don't want the apparatus snagging up on the air bag or anything else in the door frame when it closes.

It was some years ago, but to my recollection BCS' second fix was to replace the scissors altogether.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Larry Williams

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 09:13:03 PM »
Quote from: Dick Simonis
Is the Monaco service in Coburg still open?  I wonder if they can have it done there and send BCS the bill?  I would hate to see the door damaged by suddenly being blown shut and tieing it to the mirror just doesn't seem right.
Yes the service center is still open in Coberg. But it has been renamed the Allied Recreation Group maintenance center and now also services Fleetwood products. I had service done there in January and I just got an email from ASV inviting me back for the newly renamed service center.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 09:34:24 PM »
OK, Update.

I poped over and we took a look at the arm.  It looked rmoderatly worn at the pivots so we tried the bending of the arm trick.  Worked very well so, at least for the time being all is well.

Also, I need to make a correction to my comment that it should have been fixed before they left Monday.  It turns out I mis-understood Linda when she said that Travis knew about the problem  His offer to fix it was made after the delivery when they were already here....Sorry Travis.

Thanks for the info....til the next time.

Dick

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 02:46:20 AM »
Just a note, but my scissors did not hold when new and even after Monaco repaired it, it still didn't hold properly.  I watched them adjust it and they just bent the top bracket with the dimple so it fit into the recessed dimple when closed.  I made it a little tighter and it holds in even stiff breezes.  Have a small problem with it now in that it is hard to close.  It usually takes a bump and then a pull, but I have been living with it going on 10 years and there hasn't been a problem.  Vicki can even close the door with this trick.  Hopefully yours is adjusted properly and you won't need to have that bump, but if you do, I wouldn't worry about it.
Roy
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13