Author Topic: LP Generator  (Read 4975 times)

Lloyd Hall

LP Generator
« on: July 11, 2014, 06:14:40 AM »
I have a 97 patriot with a LP generator. It starts up and runs for 10 to 12 minutes and then quits. I am not sure if its the fuel or a regulator. It has not given me any trouble before. I had a complete service done on it last year. New plugs, filter and tune up. My question is, can it be a Propane or a engine problem. The propane tank is half full. The burners on the stove work fine. I have not used the coach in about 4 months. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lloyd Hall

P.S. I can let it set for about 20 minutes and it will start up again and run a little rough and then quit.

Edward Buker

Re: LP Generator
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 02:02:17 PM »
LLoyd,

How it shuts down and runs should provide some clues. If it starts and runs normally and will take a load well and then suddenly just shuts down like you pressed the off switch then I would look to one of the sensors (like oil or temp) telling the unit to shut down, probably falsely. If the sensor systems are causing the shut down they use the fuel solenoid and you could attach a meter to those wires and see if the solenoid voltage is causing the shutdown.

If it misses or spits and sputters for awhile as part of the shutdown, it could be the fuel regulator. Propane sometimes has had excess oil in it that will settle in the regulator and interfere with the diaphragm and spring. This system brings in liquid propane so the stove which brings in just the vapor will not see the oil and will run fine. The heavy oil travels in the liquid stream. That oil can build up over the years. The restart, sputtering, and quitting leans toward the fuel system, possibly the regulator.  If that is the case, with the fuel off, you would unscrew the regulator top and clean the diaphragm, housing, and spring of excess oil.  Just some educated guesses from owning one of the LP Onans for a few years. The other simple thing to check is that you have no mouse nest in the air intake restricting air.

Later Ed

Lloyd Hall

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 08:53:06 PM »
Thanks Ed for the information. It kind of sputters a little before it stops running. Is the regulator on the LP tank or on the Onan? I have not worked on  an Onan generator and I am not sure where they are located. I have a Marquis LP 5500.

Thanks again for your information,
Lloyd

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 09:38:05 PM »
Lloyd,

The LP generators may use a separate high pressure liquid line from the tank and they convert to gas at the generator. Mine was older and was built that way but it could be a low pressure system. I cannot tell you where it is located on your generator but it is a round unit with a series of screws around the perimeter on a top cap of the regulator. Page 45 on the printed page in this link shows the LP kit. It is the round unit. You might want to get a manual and start through their troubleshooting exercise.

http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/rv/f-832.pdf

All the leak check precautions when working on LP systems would apply if you take anything apart.

Later Ed

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 09:42:11 PM »
Your generator (an Onan RV Generator RV QG 5500 LP or Gas, I assume) has self-diagnostic capability according to what I see on the internet.  Although I am not familiar with your specific Onan, my Onan diesel has blinking light codes which identify the error causing the generator to shutdown.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!