Author Topic: Slight lean  (Read 6126 times)

Bob McCORMACK

Slight lean
« on: March 11, 2010, 06:33:53 PM »
My Patriot has a slight lean to the right when pumped up.   I find what look like control valve on the rear suspension but nothing like them for the front.   Am I correct in assuming that the valves in the rear also control the air to the front bags so there is not twist introduced in the chassis ?

Racer Bob
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 11:10:10 PM by 235 »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Slight lean
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 09:03:29 PM »
Bob-

I believe the ride height (travel mode) is controlled via the HWH box in the left front electrical bay, usually mounted there on it's ceiling - I know that at least the automatic leveling (campsite leveling) part of the system is in that box on our rig.  Readjusting things there is tricky, at least as far as locating the right controls, and is best done by knowledgable technicians, though I have instructions for adjusting the automatic level and could do it myself.  You should contact HWH for instructions re. any ride height readjustment.  Or just call and ask a service advisor in Bend for advice.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 11:50:31 PM »
Bob,
You did not say what year and model Patriot that you have, so I will assume that it is a 8 air bag coach. The ride (travel) height is controlled by 3 sensors. One sensor for each side in the rear that controls the rear height and side to side height difference. You also have a sensor in the center of the rear of the front suspension cradle that controls the front suspension ride height, but it has no control on side to side tilt since it is mounted in the center of the coach, and it can not detect a side to side height difference.

So if your coach is not level from side to side you need the rear sensors adjusted. It is a simple repair, but you need to set the ride height at the proper level for proper drive shaft alignment, and it can be dangerous if you make a mistake and lower the coach onto yourself. So if you are not experienced in suspension work, you might want to have a professional do it the next time that you have a trusted mechanic (not just an oil changer) service your coach.

Gerald  
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 02:59:49 AM by 235 »

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 11:55:02 PM »
What year and coach?  My 2002 Thunder has 2 leveling valves in the rear and one up front. My 1998 Monterey had 2 up front and one in the rear. The suspension leveling system for travel is all together different from the system to level the coach when parked. Marty

Jerry and Kay Hudson

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 01:00:12 AM »
the 2002 Contessa has the two foer the rear and one for the front also.

Jerry

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 02:11:38 PM »
Most if not all air ride coaches has the two rear one front ride height valves. The trick is to adjust the side to side ride height by adjustinting the rear ride height valves and still stay within the air bag height requirements.

This process requires small movements and driving and then rechecking the ride height being sure the air bag height stays within the required specifications. If adjusting on flat ground it can be DANGEROUS because when you adjust  you may deflate the air bag when you adjust the ride height.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 09:20:52 PM by 72 »

Bob McCORMACK

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 08:32:52 PM »
Mine is a 96 Patriot.  It has a separate leveling system for when parked.   I believe the spec for the air bags is 11" but it is a simple matter to adjust the one side control to slightly raise or lower.   I will look for the control valve up front.  The lean is slight.   But having the specs for the chassis would be useful.

Racer Bob

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 09:40:20 PM »
Apologies are in order - I was in error in alluding to the ride height control being in the HWH box.  Although the adjustment is not there for ride height, I was led to understand that a computerized portion of that system was.  

That aside, as Richard and Gerald (and the owner's manual) state, attempting to service the air suspension with inflated air springs is very dangerous and ill-advised.  One would have to have some unusually heavy-duty jackstands to protect oneself.  Even though the manual does give instruction, it wouldn't take an experienced tech much labor time to safely tweak the valve actuator, so I'd definitely resist the temptation to do it myself and risk leaving the Mrs. to clean up my mistake.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bob McCORMACK

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 12:21:40 AM »
Don't worry, I'm not dumb enough to go under without proper support or try to adjust the system "live".  I managed to survive 40 years of professional racing cause my momma didn't raise no stupid children.  But I do appreciate your concern.

Racer Bob