Author Topic: Hurricane -Seaward problems  (Read 6959 times)

Greg Kamper

Hurricane -Seaward problems
« on: July 21, 2014, 01:25:05 AM »
What a week... The fridge didn't cool(freezer did quite well) oldest son got carsick on the way home thanks to the very bad odor from the bathroom. But the pieze de resistanze was the water/water heater situation. I had to go home to work a couple days and as soon as I left the water pump quit. When I returned with a new water pump it didn't work... I did a little testing and I realized I lost my ground... I made a temporary ground and the pump started to work.. Then water stated to pour out from under the water heater. I haven't jumped in yet but I'm pretty sure the seaward water heater is shot since that is where the water was coming from. It looks like I can get the same unit to replace the old one. Is it possible that the water leak has shorted (opened)the ground wire? I have had a slow leak on the heat exchanger on the wall. Is that replaceable or should I try to have it replaced? After seeing some other similar posts I am wondering if my hoses are plumbed correctly. Pic attached...

Dick Simonis

Re: Hurricane -Seaward problems
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 03:24:10 AM »
Gee, this sounds familiar.

I had the same issue and it was a leak around the tube for the heat exchanger.  The fix was simple, I pulled the heater and remove the case and insulation.  A generous amount of epoxy around the tubes slowed the leak to a drip but wouldn't fix the problem.

I ordered a new heater from Defender...no to expensive and changed it out as soon as it arrived.  No problems since.

You will lose all the coolant from the Hurricane so there is a bit of time there but otherwise pretty simple.

When you look at the heater you will see a tab at the bottom with sort a U shaped hold down.  Just remove that and slide the heater forward so the tab at the back will slip out of it hold down.  For installation just shove it back so the tab re-engages and replace the front one.

Small pain in the 6 but not to bad.

If you have any issues let me know and I will try to help out.

Good luck.

Dick
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 05:04:24 AM by 282 »

Greg Kamper

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 09:56:06 PM »
Thanks Dick, I have a new Seaward water heater on order. Do you know who makes the heat exchanger manifold mounted on the side wall? I haven't been able to find anything remotely similar.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 10:59:18 PM »
No Idea but I suspect you can get the info from either ITR or Rixon.  On the other hand, I've never hears of one failing either.  FYI, it is a double tube so most of us just use regular anti-freeze.

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 12:07:13 AM »
Greg,

Hope you ordered the scratch and dent seaward, a lot cheaper.  I had to replace my heat exchanger it developed a pin hole leak.  I purchased mine from ITR. Make sure they send you the fittings they are a pain to find locally. They will send you "a brick" style heat exchanger so it will require some straps to mount.

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 12:10:17 AM »
Greg, as far as the odor two things.

One make sure you have water in the washer drier p trap.

Second, buy a turbo vent that looks like a wind mill.  It keeps it pointed into the wind and creates a vacuum to suck odors out to the tank vents.  Before you install make sure there is no obstruction in the tube like a dirt dober nest.

Greg Kamper

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 05:02:20 AM »
Quote from: Tom and Pam Brown
Greg,

Hope you ordered the scratch and dent seaward, a lot cheaper.  I had to replace my heat exchanger it developed a pin hole leak.  I purchased mine from ITR. Make sure they send you the fittings they are a pain to find locally. They will send you "a brick" style heat exchanger so it will require some straps to mount.

Oh no... I was not aware of a scratch and dent model.  I haven't heard of ITR... I will look them up, thanks.
As far as the vent goes... When you say it looks like a windmill... Does it have a propeller, or is it like a vane on a weathervane?

Thanks.

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 05:33:51 AM »
ITR is international Thermal Research. They are the manufacturer. They are a canadian company and manufacture Oasis and Hurricane heaters. They have an outlet in Vancouver Washington. Kevin Lambert is one of the techs there. They have all the Hurricane parts in stock. Not sure about the water heater because you can use different brands.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 06:24:33 AM »
Greg,
Consider these. I've used them on 2 coaches and they've solved the odor problem.
Steve
http://www.ultra-fab.com/new_detail.cfm?mfgnum=53-945001
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 01:07:30 PM »
Greg,

Obviously order the water heater from seaward, not ITR.

I am speaking of the vane type, I cannot use the type Steve suggests since mine is parked under cover.  The type Steve suggests work great from what I have been told.  That's why they make chocolate and vanilla!

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 10:27:14 PM »
Order the water heater from Defender Industries.  If your old unit still has the white plastic drain tap installed it means that no sacrificial anti corrosion plug/rod was installed. This is why the unit corroded through.
 Buy anti corrosion rods for your new unit. Remove the tap and install the rod in that place using Teflon tape.