Author Topic: Black Water Tank Sensors  (Read 5510 times)

Dick Simonis

Black Water Tank Sensors
« on: July 22, 2014, 06:11:51 PM »
I'm trying to solve once and for all the typical black tank sensor issue.  After a good clean the sensors seem to be fine with water but become erratic with the normal stuff that goes into the tank.  Of course Beaver in their infinite wisdom didn't take a low tech solution when designing the sensor system but used an array of 9 sensors to give better resolution.  The owners manual makes mention of this fact but doesn't go into detail on just how these 9 sensors work together.

Some time ago there was mention of Horst?? probes that are a good replacement but before I run out and buy 9 of them I'm hoping that someone else has tread this path.

Here is a pic of the sensor matrix:

Keith Cooper

Re: Black Water Tank Sensors
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 12:10:40 AM »
Dick, before replacing the sensors you might want to consider trying the Geo method of cleaning the tanks https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 12:42:01 AM »
Dick Siminos:  I have had a 98 Patriot since the year 2000. I have the identical system. Only once have I had any problems which eventually self corrected.

Here is what I do. I am not saying it is right or the best but it does work for me.

1. I try to avoid dumping the  black tank unless I can hook up the "flusher".  I run the "flusher" when I dump and after I close the valve. I always try to add about 5 gallon of water back into my newly emptied tank. Then I add the the chemical that I use which happens to be the "happy camper" dry chemical. No mess, no odor, and it just works for me.

I guess that I feel the "flusher" seems to spray water on the sensors inside the tank and help keep them clean.

The upshot of all of this is that when I am traveling, the water is sloshing around and the sensors are getting cleaned in transit (somewhat).

The one time that I had trouble with the readout not working I added the old trick "a tray of ice cubes down the toilet" just before traveling and that solved the problem.

Hopefully, some of my experiences may help you with your existing factory system.

Larry
Larry Fritz

Phil N Barb Rodriguez

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 01:21:42 AM »
Ditto on the "Happy Camper" product. It's the best we have found over a lot of years. We do the same as you Larry, letting the added water slosh around with the Happy Camper bugs doing their business in both tanks.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 03:43:37 AM »
As I've noted in another post, I had both our black and gray tanks professionally cleaned last year.  The cleaning restored the gray level gauge immediately and it works fine today.  The black gauge didn't perform well within a day of the cleaning and we even called the cleaning people back to take a second pass at it.  I've since decided that it doesn't matter; I know almost precisely how many days we can go before we dump the tank.

If I get around to it this winter I may install SeaLevel gauges on both tanks.  Rather than deal with trying to run wires for the readouts I'm thinking of mounting them in the basement on the water distribution panel where I removed the useless phone jacks and now have an empty spot.  At least I'd be able to monitor the tanks from some location.

Matthew Harger

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 04:21:09 AM »
Been using the Horst Miracle Probes for almost a year now without any issues...I also use the GEO method of cleaning and when prepping for a trip.  Neither the gray or black tank probes worked before the switch and they are very accurate now, so something's working right....not sure whether to give the credit to Horst Probes or the GEO.

Your tank does seem to have a few more sensors on it than I remember mine having though, but maybe I'm not remembering it correctly.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 02:23:40 PM »
Thanks for all the replies and the recommendation for the cleaning products.  Sill order some today.

I kind of got caught up in the technical challenge of trying to improve something. A good cleaning, of course, always helps but I can not resist the allure of a"Better Mousetrap"

Dropping a couple of those dish-washing pills into the hole before traveling as been pretty effective but after sitting for a couple of months the readings begin to get flaky again.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 04:46:33 PM »
UPDATE!!!

Happy Camper Rocks!!

Got some last week and followed the directions for initial use.  That was Saturday.  Since then the tank sensors have slowly become operative so we are now "Happy Campers".  Of course this may be sheer coincidence but ???.

I also bought the tank cleaning product however it doesn't seem like it will be necessary.

Thanks again for the recommendation.

Happy Dick