Author Topic: wireless keypad replacement  (Read 8436 times)

Jon Treder

wireless keypad replacement
« on: August 03, 2014, 05:19:34 AM »
Hello all, I am a new member having owned a 2006 Beaver Monterey for about 3 years now.  I need to replace the original keypad.  I having difficulty  finding the correct replacement part.  Is the Essex 1701 and exact replacement that will match exactly to the mounting holes and wiring harness?  If anybody has experience with this replacement and has a suggestion I would appreciate it.  Thank you Jon P.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: wireless keypad replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 07:34:51 AM »
BCS replaced mine with a Magnadyne, which should be what's original in our coaches, although the third-party component list on mine shows it was an Essex 1704, now discontinued apparently.   I can't find a Magnadyne model number on mine, at least not easily, but the part no. BCS used was 216389.  You might review the attached manual references to see if there's help there:
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/97487/Magnadyne-Keypad-Keyless-Entry-System-Mke-100.html

http://www.magnadynestore.com/modules/store/Keyless-Entry-System-with-Outside-Keypad-Control_P772328C25995.cfm

All 3 model systems may actually use the same pad.  A call to Magnadyne or BCS parts Monday should be fruitful.
Be sure that both the touchpad-to-the-escutcheon as well as the escutcheon to sidewall mounts are well sealed with Lexel.  A little water inside and the pads act up.

As to size, the websites indicate to me that the Essex may be longer than will fit in the same hole that may have originally held a Magnadyne (model 300?), so that's another reason to consult with BCS.  Magnadyne length is 155mm, height 58mm.  Essex 1701 length is 187mm, height 57mm.  If our factory originals were indeed Essex, then perhaps my Magnadyne had an adaptable escutcheon;  but that means either Magnadyne or Essex would fit your opening.

Joel
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 07:48:36 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 03:55:41 PM »
Replaced ours 2 years ago on our 2005 Beaver. Just follow the instructions that come with it and it's easy. We had no issues. It's nice to have it working again. BCS had ours in stock. Good luck!
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Dennis Crawford

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 08:37:18 PM »
John,

I had to replace my keypad on my 2005 Monterey.  No problems.  You have a little wiring to do fo the small contro button.  Just hook it up like the old one.

Dennis

Jon Treder

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 04:16:05 AM »
Thank you all, I really appreciate the info.  We will see how it all works out..

Jon Treder

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 12:13:23 AM »
Thank you so much Joel Ashley.  BCS shipped me an exact replacement keypad.  I was totally impressed.  It was a Magnadyne MKE-300A.  An exact match. I mean exact. I just unplugged the wire harness of the original and plugged in the 300A.  All the codes remained exactly as I had them set.  The new keypad worked with the existing and original controller.  By looking at the Beaver one would not even know it had been replaced.  I did however have to buy the entire unit including the controller, wire harness keypad etc.  While I had them on the phone I was also able to order and receive the exact replacement cargo door electric solenoids.  Removed and replaced 3 of them in about an hour.. Thank you BCS, BAC Forum and you Joel for the direction.  Jon P