Author Topic: ALADDIN ISSUE  (Read 16013 times)

Paul Schwalen

ALADDIN ISSUE
« on: August 04, 2014, 09:20:50 PM »
[size=14][/size]Yesterday after about 3 hours of run time the Aladdin went from a blue screen w/white letters to a black screen w/white letters for about a minute or so and then went back to the color screen.  Today after 3 hours the same thing happend except it will not go back to the color screen.  I have waited about an hour for things to cool down and tried to reset the colors at the system config screen where colors for the background and the letters can be chosen but this has not helped and I also reset the Aladdin using the switch in the TV cabinet with the same results.

Any thoughts?  Just for the record the coach has around 90K miles so perhaps all that run time has caused a falt in the camera?  After all these years of having a color screen the black/white screen is a big step backwards.

Paul

Roy C Tyler

Re: ALADDIN ISSUE
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 10:29:47 PM »
 Paul
I mounted a second screen just above my Aladdin screen which is on the left of the driver in the dash.  I connected the second screen to the rear camera so that I can watch the toad and the also have the engine information available all the time on the original screen.  You have your choice where you want the rear camera, either on the new screen or the old screen.  If your problem is in the receiver/screen, you could use that for your toad and use the new screen for the engine information.

Mean while, I would work all the plugs in and out on the back of the screen and on the main control unit up in the cupboard.  Make sure all the coax connectors are tight.  Unplug the unit for 30 seconds and then plug it back in and try it.

This is the monitor I got:    http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLVHR75-Widescreen-Headrest-Monitor/dp/B0009SURMY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1407188209&sr=8-4&keywords=pyle+7+monitor

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 01:57:12 AM »
[size=14][/size]Chuck,

I did as you suggested (work all the plugs in and out), unplugged unit for 30 seconds and unfortunately - stll black/white.  Do you think the camera is bad and sending only blk/white? or do the colors come from the black box or the monitor?

I looked at the monitor you used but don't want to go that route before I am sure the black box and camera are OK and sure just replacing the monitor will do the job .  As you can tell I am not very good at electronics and appreciate your input.

Paul

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 03:59:45 AM »
Paul
The only camera connected to the Aladdin is the rear camera that you see the toad through, unless you happen to have side cameras.  I am definitely not an expert on the Aladdin but I think the screen color comes from a computer chip that is in the control box in the cupboard or in the unit in the dash.  Have you tried changing the number in the configuration?  It may give you a different color.  I have never messed with changing the screen colors as I like the blue and white too.  Try gently tapping the control box and the back of the screen.  Maybe you have a loose plugin chip or connector inside.  Tap gently with the back of a screwdriver.  Do you have color on the screen when you are looking at the toad through the rear camera?

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 05:01:55 PM »
[size=14][/size]Chuck,

I tried the tapping, and the tightening and no go.  I found an old post on the forum from 2010 about Master Tech RV.  I have a call in to them.  They say they work on the Aladdin systems and I will post what they say.

In the mean time we are stationary for a few days and I am hoping Master Tech will be a help.

Paul

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 02:39:28 PM »
[size=14][/size]Hi again,

I have had no success yet with Master Tech- still waiting for a call back from them.  

In the meantine I have been thinking that since all the functions work correctly that it may just be the Sony monitor that has lost its ability to provide a color picture. That would be an easy  fix to just change out the monitor.  

Chuck has provided me with the info for the monitor he uses and is readily available.  Does anyone have a thought on this?  Would it be worth investing in the relatively inexpensive monitor as a test?

Paul

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 03:39:39 PM »
I am able to view the Aladdin data on the LCD flat screen television just above the driver. If your television has a video input (the yellow RCA plug on the TV),you would not have to purchase an inexpensive small screen just to test for colour output of the Aladdin.

Bob
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 04:24:07 PM »
[size=14][/size]Bob,

Thanks for that info.  I don't have a long enough cord on the aladdin output for the data out to reach the tv vga input however the cord for the backup camera output is long enough and when I connect that to the tv vga I get a COLOR IMAGE!  (while on the dash monitor it is a B&W IMAGE).  Do you think this is enough information to confirm that the dash monitor is the culprit?

Paul

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 05:23:53 PM »
Paul,
I believe what you have done is confirmed that the camera is working as it should,p this does not test the colour output of the Aladdin. However buying an extension VGA cord is still less than buying a small ' test' monitor if you want to test Aladdin output.

Do you have control knobs on the front of the small monitor to adjust contrast and brightness? I assume you've tried those?

Good luck...

Bob
Bob Stone

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 06:55:21 PM »
[size=14][/size]Bob,

I went to Radio Shack and got a cable and the TV shows the Aladdin functions in color and I can adjust the colors, etc.  I am convinced that the monitor is the problem.

My next issue is that the male plug that goes into the back of the existing monitor has 6 pins.  I will try to attach a pic.  The monitor I am looking at on Amazon just says it has 2 video female inputs that look like they would accept the RCA plug not a 6 pin plug.  I hope there is an adaptor available.

Thanks Bob, I would never have thought to use the TV as a test!

Paul

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 08:26:53 PM »
Paul,
What a frustrating problem. From the number on the cable and it's appearance in the photo it is a 6 pin DIN. This happens to be the same cable which connects the mouse and I believe keyboard on a desktop computer. If this is the case then you should be able to get either the male or female ends from a scrapped computer.
If you replace your dash display with a monitor that only has RCA connections you might consider having a short cable made with female DIN (from an old computer) on one end and RCA male connectors on the other end. Two of those 6 pins are for the video and two are for audio if your camera has sound. The remaining pin is for power. I wasn't able to locate a readily available adapter.

IMHO I suspect the monitor is the problem. The good news is it's easier and less expensive to replace the monitor than the Aladdin and if you pull the monitor you could take it to a shop to have it tested.

Again, good luck..

Bob
Bob Stone

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 10:29:22 PM »
Paul
I will tell you that the color, contrast, brightness etc. is not that great on the Pyle monitor.  I am satisfied with it as a 2nd monitor just for the toad but I played with all the adjustments and it is still very dark.  I did not like it as a readout monitor for my engine information.  It was very hard to read.  It may not be the Pyle monitor that is the problem, as the information that is being fed to the monitor comes from the camera and the Sony main box and that is matched up to the Sony screen.  If my Aladdin ever went out, I would go with the Silverleaf for sure.

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 11:32:35 PM »
[size=14][/size]Bob and Chuck,

Thanks so much for your inputs.  I could not have done this without your help.

We are on the road tomorrow to Maggie Valley, NC tomorrow from Raleigh, NC.  We will be there for a while and one of my good friends will also be there.  Although he is not a Beaver owner he is versed in electronics and I will pose the issue that you bring up  about the monitor.  At this point I am a happy camper knowing that the Aladdin itself is still working and will deal with the new monitor in one way or another.

I did find another monitor on Amazon that is 1/2 the price of the Pyle.  It is a 7" TFT LCD Digitlal Car Rear View Monitor w/ Remote and Stand sold by sunvalleytek.  If you guys would evaluate it I would be greatfull. (sorry but I do not know how to give you the web address for this item)

Thanks again,

Paul

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 12:05:54 AM »
Paul
The one for half price uses 9 volts, not 12 volts according to the listing. Reading the reviews, they say it will work on 9 volts and 12 volts but some of the reviews are not too good.  The one I use was recommended by other Beaver owners and it has been working for me for about a year with no problem.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 12:19:58 AM by 18755 »

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 11:55:27 AM »
[size=14][/size]Hi Bob and Chuck,

I had a thought that maybe the existing Sony Monitor can be repaired.  I know there are 2 other female input plugs on the back side next to the one that it is plugged into now.  Do you think it would be worth the trouble to try a different plug and if that does not work how about having a tech look at it.

Be on the road today.

Paul