Author Topic: ALADDIN ISSUE  (Read 16273 times)

Gerald Farris

Re: ALADDIN ISSUE
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 04:21:26 PM »
Paul,
Because the Chinese made electronics are so cheap today, it is very rarely cheaper to repair a monitor than it is to just replace it. That is the main reason that the TV repair shop that use to be almost everywhere, is almost extent. So you may have a hard time finding someone to just check it out for less than a new monitor price.

Gerald

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 07:28:40 PM »
I can't offer personal experience with this outfit, but you might contact them.  I get the impression Sony isn't into making monitors anymore, and those of us that have them may all eventually face choosing replacements.  At least the common VCB-MHD1 and VCB-62MH models have been discontinued.  I've seen them on E-Bay, used, but don't know that I'd trust that option.  Call or email to see what this dealer proffers as options, and keep us in the loop.

http://www.rvcams.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=RBCARVS

But I'm not sure I saw anything there that could hold a candle features-wise to my VCB-MHD1.  The other ports you see on the monitor back are likely for additional camera or Aladdin inputs, although I think other devices may feed into the Aladdin main video control first and then to the monitor through the one cable.  I have 2 side-cameras installed by BCS in addition to the rear one.  I'm no expert, but I don't think all monitors can handle numerous inputs if needed.  

So though I agree with Gerald in principle, I have to respectfully offer my view that if there isn't anything better out there, or at least as good, I for one would entertain finding a good TV repair shop.  Having recently done a few electronic circuit repairs myself, I likely would research and consult regarding the problem as I've done in the past, and see if I couldn't fix it myself.  It's usually just a relatively inexpensive circuit board component or a solder point that has micro-cracked (cracks in solder that are visible only by festidious inspection with a quality magnifying glass) from repeated heating and cooling.  Forums and videos related to the website Element14 have been a godsend for me.  

But that's just my 2 cents, and whether it's a venture you feel like tackling is up to you.  If you've ever successfully worked with soldering circuit board components, I'd go for it for sure.  If not, you would have to put time and effort into educating yourself first.  I've found that investment quite worthwhile so far, especially given the electronic age we have to live in.  Be aware not all circuit boards are repairable, and if it's a part that's not easily replaceable like say the screen itself... you're gonna still be up the creek.  But at least you will have tried.

-Joel
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 07:46:25 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2014, 11:58:35 AM »
[size=14][/size]Gerald, - Thanks for that prospective, I had not thought of that.  Not sure yet what I will do.

Joel, - Diagnosing and repairing(soldering) a circuit board is way beyond my pay grade.  I would not know where to start and I compliment you on your guts to try and accomplish that.

Chuck, - Since you have that second monitor perhaps you could measure it to determine if it will fit in the hole in the dash that the Sony uses.   That seems like a doable option for me, I don't like the B&W screen for looking at the toad.  

Thanks to all,

Paul

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2014, 03:41:13 PM »
I am not sure what Sony you have and where it is located, but the Pyle monitor I have is too big to fit in the hole left by my Sony monitor.
You might give this place a call. They say they have a replacement monitor.     http://www.rvcams.com/
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 03:52:29 PM by 18755 »

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2014, 04:43:53 PM »
[size=14][/size]Chuck,

I called RV Cams with the link you provided and they say they replace the Sony monitor with a Voyager LED backlit screen and they provide the necessary 6 pin to 4 pin adapter.  It mounts differently than the Sony but fits in the same hole in the dash.  The bad part is they want $404.  

I now am rethinking B & W vs. Color and don't know if it is worth it.

Paul

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2014, 09:05:14 PM »
The link Roy gave is to the same RVcams outfit I mentioned.

As I proffered, Paul, see if there is a reputable repair shop in your area.  A good one won't charge $400 to remelt 1mm of solder or replace a $4 component, or at the very least give you a clue what's wrong for a basic shop charge.  If they can't fix it, true, you've thrown good money out - depends on whether you can accept it may not be repairable.

I'll give you this, though;  finding such a shop may be no easy task, which is why I took on learning some things I could do on my own.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2014, 10:41:19 PM »
Paul
Here is one more place you might call although the price looks to be about the same.   http://www.batterycanada.com/
Go down the left side to RV Cameras.

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2014, 11:10:22 PM »
[size=14][/size]Alright this is getting weird,

We just got back to the coach from being out for something to eat and low and behold the display is back to COLOR!!!

I don't expect it will last forever but I can hope!

When I spoke to Tim at the place that wanted $400 for a monitor he said that he had not heard or a monitor going from color to B & W.  He said to check the voltage at the monitor because sometimes low voltage causes strange issues with the Sony monitor.

I guess I will have to figure out how to check that voltage.  I have very new house batteries and fairly new chassis batteries.

Paul