Author Topic: Where to go for service?  (Read 5695 times)

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Where to go for service?
« on: August 07, 2014, 04:26:33 PM »
I have a question about getting proper service done on my 2001 Contessa. I need to get an oil and filter change, also I have a leaking line going into the a/c compressor for the dash air...an oil leak somewhere above the starter, and want to have the serpentine and water pump belts checked.

Should I take it to CAT service center( 3 miles from my house) for this as its all engine related stuff, or to a RV service center?
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Tom and Pam Brown

Re: Where to go for service?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 05:27:18 PM »
My recommendation is take it to the cat dealer.  The only other recommendation would be to have the chassis manual available to show them the grease points on the chassis.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 05:28:56 PM »
A year ago I took my coach to a local truck service company, Eagle Freightliner.  The company works on all species of trucks, transmissions, etc., changed all my oils and filters, and serviced my Onan generator.  I left the coach there for several days where it was parked in a bay out of the sun.  My alternative was to take it to one of several RV sales/service companies 35 miles away, or take it to Bend 215 miles away.  Eagle Freightliner has a couple truck shops on I84 within 100 miles of me here in NE Oregon.  The shop I went to is only 5 miles away from my home.

Had I needed service on something unique to my RV, then I would likely take it to Bend... which I have done for slide work.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 06:02:27 PM »
There are a number of good well know repair places in your area.  Additionally, the CAT dealer will do the chassis/engine work that you listed in your message.  My personal option is that most CAT dealers do not really understand the needs of RV folks.  I would prefer to see you go to a well establish RV service center like Alliance in Wildwood, FL.
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 06:38:09 PM »
LaMonte,
You will probably be OK with a good RV center that understands diesel pushers like Alliance Coach, but I prefer to take engine related repairs to a Cat dealer, especially something like the oil leak that you referenced. Most RV shops will not even work on something like an engine oil leak, so you will probably end up at the Cat dealer anyway. One point though, all Cat dealers do not work on RVs, so be sure to call ahead.

Gerald

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 10:43:36 PM »
thanks for all the great advice! It sure helps to get so many opinions to help me decide! :)
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl