Author Topic: Dripping Fuel Filter  (Read 7226 times)

Tom Rogers

Dripping Fuel Filter
« on: February 26, 2010, 02:06:11 PM »
Our 06 Monterey's (pipcock or pitcock ... whatever it's called) under the plastic see-thru bowl keeps dripping. I've finger tightened the black knob as tight as it will go. Before I loosen it  I'd like to know what I'll be looking for as far as a washer, gasket or seal. I've never changed a filter myself so don't know what to expect. The drip frequency is about one per half hour. It doesn't seem to be coming from where the filter secures on to the bowl ... seems to be coming from around the knob area. Is that the drain for removing collective water from the bottom of the bowl? I don't want to loosen then have the bowl empty out on me. Thanks.

Marty and Suzie Schenck

Re: Dripping Fuel Filter
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 02:54:32 PM »
It's called a "petcock". Try placing a small can or bowl under the petcock and open it to let it flow for a second or two and then close it. There might be a piece or crud lodged inside causing it to drip. If that fails take it to a shop that works on diesel trucks, they will know how to correct the problem. Marty

Louis and Elise Williams

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 03:50:59 PM »
The fuel filter was leaking on my o0 Monterey was leaking also, and I discovered that the plastic bowl on the Racor filter was cracked and leaking. The total cost for a new filter, R90T, and bowl was about $50.00.  Louis

Larry and Heidi Lee

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 02:37:27 AM »
05 Monterey C9 400 Monterey- Our drain bowl assembly is seeping fuel too. I have tried the above recommendations and changed the filter as well with the same result, a slow leak. With no local CAT dealer I am hoping somebody might have a part number so I can attempt to order the bowl assembly on-line? I can post pictures if necessary..

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 03:31:42 AM »
A picture probably would help. Usually the filter/water seperator is an after market product like "Racor". Thats what mine has on it. If you could take a picture and post it here someone may be able to point you in the right direction.  Marty

Larry and Heidi Lee

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 04:48:54 PM »
Hi Marty, here is what I have... I am hoping this is a standard part that Monaco used for my 05 Beaver Monterey Bayview 4 34' C9 400 model and somebody can provide a part number for the fuel cup / drain. I didnt find a part number on the cup.  :)

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 05:11:41 PM »
The bowl is a standard Racor part for that family of filters. Take your filter number to a Racor dealer and they can match it to the correct bowl. If not close to a Racor dealer any good parts store that caters to larger vehicles should be ablt to get one.

Larry and Heidi Lee

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 05:15:05 PM »
Thats a good idea. Thanks Richard!

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »
That looks like the bowl of a Racor 300 series. As above said or take it to a Kenworth,Peterbuilt or a Freightshaker dealership. If they don't have it they will know where to get it.  Marty

Larry and Heidi Lee

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 07:20:43 PM »
http://www.maesco.com/products/racor/r_spn_intro/r_spn_intro.html

The above company specializes in Racor filters and water seperation products. Very helpful.