Author Topic: parking brake  (Read 4929 times)

Loydd Fones

parking brake
« on: August 11, 2014, 07:06:56 AM »
I need to find pics and adjustment procedure for parking brake on 98 pat thunder ?

Joel Weiss

Re: parking brake
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 02:58:37 PM »
We had extensive work done on ours last year; it is the kind where there is a rotor on the driveshaft and a special caliper that grabs it.  If yours is the same I might be able to answer questions, although I don't have pictures.  What are you trying to adjust?

Loydd Fones

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 08:14:07 PM »
   I need to adjust the pad clearance on the rotor. or possibly replace the pads

Loydd

Joel Weiss

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 10:54:47 PM »
As I recall the pad clearance adjustment is made using a socket wrench on a nut (?) accessible from the front of the caliper.  I guess that pads can be replaced without removing the caliper from the rotor (or from the MH entirely, but I think it would be pretty difficult).  The caliper is rather primitive and has one movable pad and one fixed one.  "Adjusting" the caliper means turning the adjustment nut so that the pad grabs the rotor enough to hold when the brake is engaged.

If you have found that one of your pads is completely worn through I suggest that you verify that the brake is actually fully released even though the warning light is off.  We ended up having a catastrophic failure of the air actuating chamber, but I'm pretty sure we had a progressive failure of it long before it blew entirely.   The evidence of this was two sets of pads having been worn out in ~3 years of driving even though I know I never drove with the parking brake on.  I'm pretty sure mine was dragging long before it failed.

BCS does have parts for this brake, but they aren't inexpensive (but then again, what about a Beaver is?)

Phil N Barb Rodriguez

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 11:11:28 PM »
And I believe the adjusting procedure says the brake adjustment is supposed to hold the coach while the engine is at 1100-1200 RPM's with the brake engaged.......

BCS can give specific info..

Loydd Fones

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 06:46:57 AM »

Thanks you  all , I really appreciate the info !

Loydd Fones

Bill Chaisson

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 11:38:00 PM »
We have a 2001 Beaver Marquis and are having brake problems - we need to find the part number for the Rear Brake Relay Valve - anyone know where we can find the part number for that?

George H. Wall

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 01:44:34 PM »
Call BCS in Bend, they should be able to give you that info.