Author Topic: Basement Air Not Blowing Cold Air  (Read 6049 times)

JimNCheryl Domenoe

Basement Air Not Blowing Cold Air
« on: August 18, 2014, 09:47:50 PM »
I have already searched the archives for help on this but have not found an answer, so I am asking for your assistance.

I recently purchased a used, 2000 Beaver Marquis Jasper, with basement air.  The air conditioner does not blow cold air, although it appears that the compressors are cycling on and the board is good.  I know that you cannot charge the system without removing it from the coach.  I have checked a couple of shops locally but none of them are familiar with the system.  Their suggestion was not to buy a coach with basement air.  It's a bit late for that advice, so . . .

Does anyone know of a repair facility in the Southern California (Murrieta/Temecula) area?  I know that BCS suggests a shop in Bend, but I would rather not travel that distance if I don't have to.

I don't want to retrofit the coach with roof air, so that is not an option I am willing to explore.

Any suggestions would be welcome. :)

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
Re: Basement Air Not Blowing Cold Air
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 10:33:19 PM »
I feel for your dilemma.  My very close Beaver friend had a 2000 Marquis with the same situation.  First, the central air unit originally installed in your coach was not designed for a vehicle running down the road.  It was designed for a stationary type (mobile home) of service. The freon lines rub on the casing and leak. This is most likely your problem.  

Now the bad news, it take an experienced mechanic about 6-8 hours to remove and 6-8 hours to reinstall.  Fixing the leaking lines properly will hold for a while.  Another choice is a unit originally design for a Fleetwood RVs.  This unit also has some issues and will need some major rework of the compartment to work properly.  The best option is using roof mounted A/C units.  My friend only install two units and was very Happy with the results.  Cost was under $5,000.00.

Again sorry for your situation, but my recommendation is going with roof mounting units.

Good luck,

Karl
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 10:49:11 PM »
As much air conditioning that is used in Mexifornia, one would think at least a few of the thousands of a/c technicians there would have the knowledge and expertise to fix it.  One would think... but I'll bet fixing it won't be cheap.

I am looking at either fixing (I hope) or replacing my middle (bathroom) roof a/c - I have three roof airs.  I just got off the phone with Ken at BCS... who suggested replacing the unit with a new one would be $1,300 to $1,400.  Mine are combination roof airs and heat pumps.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 02:05:16 AM »
Jim,
You may have already checked these items but just in case....  Verify both compressors are running by monitoring the AC current draw on the CMP panel. Should be in the 15 A range if my memory is working. If you are not getting that draw on one or both, the control board is probably the cause. If so and a repair facility orders a new one, be sure to get the old one from them as Flight Systems will repair it for ~$100. If you do get the system running, be sure to replace the air return filter in the basement. When I bought my Marquis the A/C unit wasn't cooling adequately. Found an almost totally blocked filter and a bad control board keeping one compressor from running.
Good Luck,  Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 08:12:43 AM »
Jim,
Let me correct a few false rumors here. The SCS basement A/C unit that you have was designed for an RV. It was used extensively in Prevost conversions and as original equipment in Newell coaches in the late 90s to early 2000s. In fact there are some many Newells with the system (they used two units, one front and one rear) that the Newell factory stocks circuit new boards and has a technician at the factory who repairs the units.

The line failure issue on the SCS units was corrected in later production and it is a fairly easy modification for any A/C technician. You just cut the line that sometimes develops a fatigue crack and add a flexible section that is readily available at an A/C supply house.

Even though SCS went out of business in 2010, all of the parts are readily available to repair the unit. The circuit board can be repaired by Flight Systems or a new one is available from VCS in Fort Worth, Texas. All of the rest of the parts are available from an A/C supply house. Do not replace the SCS unit with another brand, because the modifications are excessive and expensive, and there will be no improvement over repairing the SCS unit for a lot less money.

Removing and replacing the unit is not a big job. A knowledgeable repair shop will probably charge about 8 hours labor to R&R the unit, but I have pulled my basement A/C unit 3 times over the years, and it takes me four hours to completely R&R the unit.

I think that the A/C repair shop in Bend has an exchange unit if you ship your unit to him, or at least he can repair yours and send it back.

If you need any more questions answered about your basement A/C unit, or if you want detailed instructions on removal, just call me (713-254-4156). I will be in the Pacific Time Zone for the next couple of weeks.

Oh by the way, the last price that I heard for converting a basement A/C unit to roof units was $8,000. My basement A/C quit cooling 3 years ago because a compressor shorted out and fried the circuit board. So I had the flex lines installed, one compressor and the circuit board replaced for $1,200, and it is still cooling great.

Gerald          
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 08:30:32 AM by 235 »

JimNCheryl Domenoe

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 01:01:16 AM »
Thanks for the information.  I particularly like what Gerald had to say.  After reading a couple of the posts I was really regretting my decision.  I believe I will plan a trip to Bend and just have the unit checked there.  I will make it my maiden voyage and I can survive without air if I wait a month or so before I head up that way.

This is the only major problem at this time and I really would like to get it taken care of.  I will work on the smaller things in the meantime.

Thanks to everyone for your responses.  Glad to be a member of the group.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 02:11:11 AM »
Jim,
I highly recommend that you get the phone number of the A/C shop that does the basement A/C units for BCS and give them a call to discuss your possibilities and let them know when you are coming. The A/C shop does the R&R and repairs now, so if you are only going for an A/C repair only, you probably will not need to go to BCS. However, I think that every Beaver owner who goes through the Bend area should stop by BCS and say Hi and have a free cup of coffee, courtesy of Ty and the good folks at BCS. There will probably be several fellow BAC members in the waiting area while their coach is being serviced, so you can get acquainted.

Gerald  

JimNCheryl Domenoe

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 03:20:16 AM »
I plan to make an appointment for service before I make the trek.  No telling what the problem might be so I want to get a spot on their calendar.

We plan to go by BCS as well.  I need a few things there as well.

Jim

JimNCheryl Domenoe

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 02:46:13 AM »
Thanks for the information.  I particularly like what Gerald had to say.  After reading a couple of the posts I was really regretting my decision.  I believe I will plan a trip to Bend and just have the unit checked there.  I will make it my maiden voyage and I can survive without air if I wait a month or so before I head up that way.

This is the only major problem at this time and I really would like to get it taken care of.  I will work on the smaller things in the meantime.

Thanks to everyone for your responses.  Glad to be a member of the group.