Author Topic: Play in steering bad Drag Link  (Read 3143 times)

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Play in steering bad Drag Link
« on: August 31, 2014, 11:29:30 AM »
Over the last year, I had the front end checked by two different shops.  Both said that the play in the steering was caused by a bad drag link.  To get a new drag link BCS sent me to Kaiser in Eugene who inspected the drag link and pronounced it good but adjusted the steering box and did an alignment.  There was noticable improvement below 60 mph but above that it was still sloppy.
While again at Brazels in Centralia and after hearing my story they again looked at the drag link.etc...
The problem turned out to be the Pitman arm and the cinch bolt that connects it to the steering box shaft.  All of this was so loose it nearly jumped teeth on the shaft splines.  Had the clamp failed we would suddenly have no steering.
With someone moving the steering wheel you could look right at the connection and it seemed OK until you put your hand on it and felt it move.  Two wrenches tightened the clamp and my steering at te same time.
I dont know how this came loose but you can bet I will keep an eye on it in the future.  Might be worth checking on anyones coach.

Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
Re: Play in steering bad Drag Link
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 11:39:30 AM »
I should point out that I am not being critical of Kaiser Brake and Alignment in Eugene.  They provided one of the inspections and missed this like everyone else did.  It was very hard to spot.
Kaiser did fine work on all they did for us though most of it was fit in between appointments.
We appreciate all they did for us.

Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 02:47:20 PM »
Keith,

Glad you found the culprit, this problem has been dogging you for awhile. Next time under the coach I will take a peek at mine.

I was wondering if the pitman arm had ever been worked on or loosened for any reason during the time you have had shops looking at your suspension? With the rust and age that sets in on the steel bolts I have never heard of one loosening up.

Later Ed

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 10:06:34 PM »
Ed, to my knowlege it has never been loosened for any reason.  The threads showed no sign of recent loosening.  Not knowing the cause is darn scary.  I would rather know that a mechanic screwed up at some point than just not know.
I do believe everyone should have this checked.
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!