Author Topic: outside trim molding loose  (Read 3541 times)

Dana Henderson

outside trim molding loose
« on: September 09, 2014, 02:54:41 PM »
The side molding trim over the drivers side service center door has come loose for about 8 feet. It seems 5 or 6 screws have rusted.  How do I access this area to replace the screws?  The heads are covered by the trim.  Both ends of the 20'x 3" trim piece have a small riveted cap and the trim has a bead of silicone sealer running the full length.

Dana
2001 40' Thunder Patriot
C 12

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: outside trim molding loose
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 03:05:13 PM »
Dana I am pretty sure that the screws are just self tapping sheet meatal screws you could leave the old screws and just add a new screw next to it. The moldings normally just snap in place and the sealent used is for a seal I had an area above the rear driver side tires that had this same issue it was an EZ fix on the 06 PT.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Doug Neal

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 07:26:04 PM »
If it is the piece I am thinking of it is about 3 1/2 wide with a 45 angle on each side. We had some body work done several years ago that required its removal. It is a snap on install, but the shop we were at could not remove it without considerable damage. At the time Monaco stocked the part in 18' lengths. I suppose you could rivet or screw thru it but that may not be to pretty.

Hurshel Haley

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 10:05:08 PM »
Doug I suggest you contact Tom @ Advantage RV in Bend, Ore phone # 5417280305.  I had the same problem last year on 2001 Marquis and Tom has a fix turned out economical, and fast. Good luck Hurshel

Les Brandt

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 02:28:27 AM »
Yes. Interested to see what the fix will be.
One of the back trims covering the cap from the roof down on my Patriot popped for about a 2 ft. Section. The holes were rusted. I backed out the screws, drilled holes at a slight angle and put the screws back in. The screw heads are on a slight angle but still in the dished portion of the hole. Barely noticeable and still painted the same color.

You might try to use a small dome head screw like a #5 and put them down the side of the complete trim well spaced. (ie: every 2 or 3 ft) Touch up the heads with a close matched paint. I don't think it would look too terrible.