Author Topic: Hot water heater  (Read 7055 times)

Loydd Fones

Hot water heater
« on: September 08, 2014, 06:03:56 AM »
Does a hurricane have an electric hot water heater ?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 09:16:38 AM by 13078 »

Gerald Farris

Re: Hot water heater
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 07:40:21 AM »
Loydd,
A short answer to your question is no. However, some coaches that have a Hurricane heating unit do have a separate electric water heater, and since you did not mention what coach you have, I can not say if yours has an electric water heater or not. Also, some of the coaches that came with a Hurricane heating unit have had an aftermarket Comfort Hot electric system added into the Hurricane heating loop.

So I guess that a better answer would be that you may have electric water heating, but it is not from the Hurricane.

Gerald

Loydd Fones

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 04:38:31 PM »
I have a 1999 Patriot Thunder

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 04:51:36 PM »
Loydd,
I believe that the 99 Thunder has an electric water heater. It will be located in the same compartment as the Hurricane, on a shelf directly above the Hurricane. There will be a breaker in the 120 volt panel that is labeled water heater.

Gerald

Ron Johnson

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 08:35:01 PM »
My 2000 Thunder has a water heater separate from the Hurricane on the upper shelf as described by Gerald. If your setup is the same as mine water can be heated electrically, by the HUrricane [heat exchanger] and\or engine heat [heat exchanger].

Loydd Fones

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 06:03:07 PM »
I wonder if here is such a thing as a factory service manual for my 99 Patriot Thunder available somewhere  ?  The manual and paperwork I have just doesn't match my coach., for instance  it says you have 2 valvel in the hurricane bay that have a winter or summer position, I have NO valves in the hurricane bay? there are 3 or 4 valves under the bed that I have no idea what goes to what  ?  very frustrating

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 06:15:42 PM »
I have been told that under the bed there are a couple gate valves that will stop the flow of heat from the engine to the coach's heating registers.  I have an AquaHot, not a Hurricane.  It is heated by engine heat, an electrical element, and a diesel burner - three sources for heat - which can all be on simultaneously, or any combination.  All three sources will heat fresh water for sinks and showers, plus heat the coolant solution for circulation into the various zones' floor heating registers.  My coach has four heating zones - living room/kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, and basement.  Each zone has one or more heating registers.  The AquaHot also has the capability to send heat to the engine, known as the Engine Preheat system.

In the summer you don't need, nor want, additional heat coming from the engine into the living areas of the coach.  So, I would guess the summer position is off.  In the winter you do want engine heat to help warm the living areas of the coach, especially while traveling.  So, I would guess the winter position is on.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 08:22:42 PM »
David,
I'm not aware of any valves for the Hydro/Aqua Hot. The Hurricane does have them. On mine they are located in the front left of the engine compartment, accessible though the engine hatch under the bed. Mine were mis-labled as to Winter/Summer positions.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 09:11:02 PM »
If I am remembering correctly per Mike Flowerday two weeks ago, the engine supplies heat via a circulation hose to both the AquaHot and dash heat from the engine.  Thus, while running down the highway, the engine's heat is used to directly supply heat to the dash heat and Aqua Hot.  The AquaHot then, in turn through heat exchange, heats both the fresh water used in the sinks and showers, and the coolant circulating through the AquaHot's furnace registers.  If I interpreted Mike correctly, there would be one engine hose with coolant running forward to the AquaHot and dash heat and back to the engine, and yet another Engine Preheat coolant hose with coolant running from the AquaHot to the engine and back to the AquaHot.

There are valves under the bed to stop the heat flow from going into the living areas in summer when the heat is not wanted there.  My guess is the engine's pump does the pumping to push coolant to the dash heat and AquaHot in one hose.  There is a separate motor and pump in the AquaHot that pumps coolant from the AquaHot to preheat the engine in the other hose.

My conversation with Mike on this hose system was brief.  If this explanation is not mostly correct, then I completely misinterpreted that which Mike explained to me.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Loydd Fones

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 06:36:19 AM »
  I do appreciate the info and at least know what direction to focus on.   Thanks !!!

Loydd

Grant Ralston

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 04:23:01 AM »

Our 1998 Contessa has the following arrangement of Hurricane expansion chamber (surge tank), valves, and heat exchanger for our 3126 Cat engine.

Grant