Author Topic: Air Leak  (Read 6080 times)

Dick Simonis

Air Leak
« on: September 18, 2014, 11:42:28 PM »
The 2002 Marquis we're buying has an air leak where the needle for the tank servicing the brakes drops quite quickly by my standards.  120 to 40 in several hours.  Should I be concerned or should I push the point with BCS.

Thanks

Dick

Edward Buker

Re: Air Leak
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 01:57:08 AM »
Dick,

My Red needle drops about that much in about 24hrs, my green needle takes much longer to drop. It does seem like that amount of air loss in several hours should be detectable. My coach does not seem to drop air in the suspension to any great extent over weeks even with the needle dropping so the air loss is external to that system on mine, which would be more of a concern if the coach was dropping over several hours and losing level. I do not see where you have much to lose by asking them to put a reasonable amount of effort into sourcing the air loss. The issue is it could be that the air loss is the sum of multiple very small sources that could be hard to detect. One opinion....

Later Ed

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 04:42:38 AM »
Dick,
If the coach is air leveled when the pressure drop occurred, I would considered it normal.

Gerald

Dennis Crawford

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 09:02:29 AM »
Dick,

Ed is probably correct...many small leaks.  I would ask them to spend a reasonable amount of time trying to find them.  I think I had 12 locations in my 2005 Monterey.  Fountain RV in Florida found and repaired them.

Dennis
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 08:11:03 PM by 282 »

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 01:36:24 PM »
Gerald,

Can you explain your comment a little more, I was trying to understand your thinking and how that amount of air loss might be a normal event. I think the coach that Dick is looking at has the hydraulic SMC leveling and not air leveling when parked but I am not sure, that is the assumption I was going on.

Later Ed

Dick Simonis

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 02:27:42 PM »
Thanks guys, I brought it up yesterday and was told pretty much the same thing although they will spend a bit of time looking at major components to ensure there isn't anything serious that might fail suddenly.  I think it's the red needle which is apparently the one for the air brakes.

The coach is sitting level and the other needle (green?) doesn't move for ages and the coach doesn't sag obviously so I'm not going to worry about if nothing bad is found.

Spending a week here while it's in the shop doing PDI stuff is informative and the shop is taking my obvious interest in good grace.  However, I have found a couple of items that the PDI didn't pick up like chaffing on the drivers side fuel filler hose (mine wore through and cost me 1/2 tank of fuel) and the Alpine stereo screen doesn't fold up/fold down/stow so the screen just sticks out flat like a dinner plate.

This place is still just nuts with all the coach sales and service work in progress and the shop seems to be running 12 hours and 6 days. Just tough to beat BCS.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 03:02:37 PM »
Ed,
My comment was that if the coach was air leveled, it will use air out of the tanks to maintain level. Every thirty minutes the system rechecks the level condition, and readjust the air pressure as necessary using tank pressure and the electric air compressor to maintain level. Therefore, an air leveling system can deplete your air tanks rather quickly. However, if he does not have air leveling, the comment does not apply.  

Gerald
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 08:13:02 PM by 282 »

Edward Buker

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 03:40:39 PM »
Thanks Gerald, I do not have air leveling so I did not know how much the air pressure varied with that system and that it tended to deplete pressure while in use over time. I get it now...If we go down this road again our next coach will have air leveling although so far (fingers crossed) we have not had problems with our hydraulic system other then replacing several pad up push button sensors. Still it would be nice to have a system that is supported with expertise and parts.

Later Ed

Terry Melot

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 07:02:16 PM »
Gerald, I do have air leveling and that explains the pressure drop of 2-3 days.  However, by the 4th day, the coach is starting to be unlevel. I have to restart the engine, bring air pressure back up and re-level. I guess the little electric air pump won't keep up with it?

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 07:41:46 PM »
If the little air pump is a problem, then look here:  http://forum.bacrallies.com/m-1334020582/s-3/highlight-electric+air+pump+leveling+replac/#num3

It may help.  I don't know.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 08:08:10 PM »
Terry, the auxilliary pump works only when you use the Auto Level feature, at least on mine.  The system automatically levels the coach in camp and maintains it by checking for level every so often, as Gerald talked about.  On my rig at least it seems the maintenance part of it comes only from the auxilliary pump and not the tanks.  If the little pump is operational it should indefinitely maintain things.  But the pumps are frought with various possible maladies such as poor electrical connections and dirt from being in a relatively unprotected chassis location.  If it's working, you should hear the little pump, under the passenger front corner, fire off occasionally as it's informed by the HWH controller during the periodic level check that things have gotten out of whack since the last check.

If you've been leveling in camp by using individual buttons on the display instead of Auto Level, then you've thereby taken the auxilliary pump out of the picture, so it can't help offset any leakdown over time.  If you have been Auto Leveling and never hear the pump come on and run for awhile, then you likely have a failed pump or faulty connections.  If you hear the pump once in awhile but still go off-level over time, or the pump never stops running, you likely have a serious leak somewhere or the hose from the little pump is compromised.

Many here have replaced their factory auxilliary pump with a Viair brand model 380, as per Gerald's suggestions in many previous threads.  The only precaution is providing better electrical wiring to the new pump so it can operate properly and safely.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 10:34:42 PM »
I just left BCS yesterday and this was one of the problems they diagnosed for me. My green needle would drop to zero overnight. Jeremy, who was the tech that did the troubleshooting on mine found 6 air leaks! Two were bad level control solenoid valves and the other four were leaking connections. It made a big difference on mine. Im really glad I had them check it out. Good luck!
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine