Author Topic: New Tires  (Read 7086 times)

Don Stewart

New Tires
« on: September 18, 2014, 08:12:43 PM »
Hi All, well it is time for some tires for our new (to us) old motorhome. We have a 2002 Beaver Contessa and some of the tires are in need of replacement due to age (minor sidewall cracking). We are in the Upland Ca area and looking for advice on what and where to purchase. Any experience or advice is most appreciated. Thanks.

Orman Claxton

Re: New Tires
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 08:37:34 PM »
Maybe start by driving North to get outta CA,
No tax in Oregon, Much cheaper too.

Don Stewart

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 08:44:59 PM »
LOL, good advice, wish I could right now. Thought about it many times but I am getting used living with over inflated prices. I am looking for the best deal though. Besides, if enough of us go that direction, Oregon will become California del Norte.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 09:09:25 PM »
Will become?  There are so many Californians in Oregon that the illegal aliens think they're still close to home.  I have known some who sold their homes in California and came to Oregon to buy a ranch... and still had piles of money left over.  Anyways... back to the tire issue.  Get involved in the Michelin purchasing program with Monaco, or was it FMCA, or....  Who was it anyways?  Larry Williams used it in Junction City, OR recently at a Les Schwabs.  He got his new tires much cheaper.

Do a forum search on the exact phrase "new tires" and you will many messages to read.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 09:57:08 PM by 9124 »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 11:12:45 PM »
I think the Monaco program went south.  The FMCA is not as good but better than nothing.  If we'd been able to get away from home this summer, I was going to use FMCA at Bob Dickman's in Junction City, OR, a Les Schwab outlet that specializes in diesel motorhome tire services and who David is referring to.  Then a little farther south to Henderson's for a chassis checkup, and maybe drag a few smallmouth or steelhead out of the Umpqua in the process.

If I were you Don, I'd seriously consider a trip north not just to save money but for the confidence of knowing the job is done right.  And it may even be the journey in itself was worth any fuel and park costs;  Crater Lake and the Coast are nice after the crowds leave.  Admittedly it is a bit of a drive from L.A.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Don Stewart

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 01:16:17 AM »
Thanks everyone, plan to go north soon but I took the MH into Colton Truck Center for an evaluation before going on any long trips. They found one flat tire and all of the tire were mismatched. Soooooo, looks like Pete's in Fontana will be putting on new booties tomorrow, not safe to drive on 5 tires. They also found an exhaust manifold leak. Will fix these and then all we will have time for is fishing when we hit Oregon. Again, thanks all for your input.

Les Brandt

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 02:55:40 PM »
I don't know where down there, but as far as a brand in 22.5's, I have put Toyo M154's on two coaches ($3250)and recently put Hancook AH12's on our new to us Beaver ($2650). I have absolutely no problems recommending either brand. The ride for each has been excellent.

While some will swear by Michelins, Good Year, Continental, I don't believe you have to buy a Ferrari when a Cadillac will do.

The two brands mentioned are by no means a bottom of the barrel tire. Pretty much upper mid range. I based my purchase on reviews of all tires at the time. Just my opinion.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 09:06:19 PM »
I've been running Hankook's on my automobiles for years and have been very satisfied.  I've read good things about their truck tires.  That's what I plan to buy in a couple of year.

Arden Smith

• BAC Member
  • 98 Monterey 36\' 300 Cat 3126
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 11:29:35 PM »
I just put new Toyo's M-154 on my coach in bend Or, Les Schwab. Cost me $2700 out the door less than 3 weeks ago. 265-75R-22.5. Am very pleased with the performance.
Arden Smith
98 Monterey 36' 3126 300 CAT

Dick Simonis

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 12:20:50 AM »
I have been very pleased width the Hankook and the price was good.  Picked them up in Yuma so still had to deal with sales tax but still 3K for 6, balanced, and an alignment.

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 01:32:13 AM »
I have Toyo's too...put on almost 3 years ago and no issues. Smooth riding and 9000 miles so far!
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl