Author Topic: Front ceiling air conditioner quit  (Read 3513 times)

Gary Wolfer

Front ceiling air conditioner quit
« on: September 15, 2014, 04:32:33 AM »
Left the coach with the air conditioner running on 70 degrees yesterday so it would be cool when I got home after a few hours when I returned it was off and would not come back on. It is a 98 patriot. I slid the temp up and down and it would not come on I turned the fan from auto to on and the fan would not come on. The hurricane heater works but no air conditioner. The bedroom air conditioner works fine. The front air circuit breaker did not kick nor did the line breakers I installed after the inverter nor did the campground post breaker kick. The 30 amp breaker on the magnum inverter did not kick either. There must be something that kicked or you would think at least the fans would come on. Any help appreciated.

Dick Simonis

Re: Front ceiling air conditioner quit
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 02:07:00 PM »
Gary, a friend of mine had that happen and I found one of the wire nuts for the AC feed to the unit had loosened and the lead disconnected.  I suggest you pop off the intake grille and check all the connections for power, both 12V and 120.  Also a great place to check for applied power since it takes both the run.  If the Hurricane runs it suggests the 12V is OK because 12V for the thermostat come from there.

Good Luck
Dick

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 04:41:11 PM »
Gary,
All of the inverter related circuits have nothing to do with the roof A/C unit. The most likely problem is the power connection at the A/C unit itself. If there is 120 volt power to the A/C unit, check the thermostat connections at the A/C unit.

Gerald  

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 02:50:08 AM »
Gary,

There is a starting capacitor involved that has been known to go bad but I do not remember symptom wise if the unit would be fully dead or humming or what exactly. Someone who has had that cap failure might jump in...

Later Ed

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 04:57:00 AM »
Inever thought abut a loose connection in a wire nut as I had both air conditioners out and redid the seals and applied dicor coating on the roof and around the hole a few weeks ago. The back one is still working. I thought about a gfci or a breaker but never thought about a loose connection.

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 12:40:47 AM »
Dick Thanks for the heads up. The wire nut on the neutral white connection had a loose wire. Works again Thanks all of you.