Author Topic: Route from Bend OR to Phoenix  (Read 6175 times)

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
Route from Bend OR to Phoenix
« on: September 23, 2014, 04:52:19 PM »
Can anyone recommend a route from Bend OR to Phoenix?  We normally leave to go south from Minnesota but are going to BCS because of needed repairs. Thanks
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Route from Bend OR to Phoenix
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 05:07:06 PM »
If you want to avoid California and its roads, then go through Lakeview (97, 31, 395).  You will still see a bit of California, but not too much.  This route takes you to Reno, then go south through Fallon, Tonopah, etc.  Eventually you will get to Las Vegas.

Another route would be to go East from Bend to Ontario (20), then through Boise (I84), to Salt Lake City (I15), Las Vegas (I15),....  This route would be freeway after the first 200 miles across the high desert between Bend and Ontario, and would be longer.

At Burns, OR, about 130 East of Bend on 20, you can go South into Nevada to Winnemucca.  From Winnemucca you can go SW to Fallon (I80, 95), or go SE (I80, 305).

There are lots of routes.  It all depends on your time schedule and adventurism.  Most logical routes will go through Las Vegas, unless you want to get into the Rockies.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 05:23:55 PM by 9124 »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 11:08:59 PM »
We go to Phoenix from Redding, twice each year (in-laws live there).  Weather permitting, we always go to Reno, Fallon, down 95 to Las Vegas, to Phoenix.  It may be 2 lane but it is much smoother and nicer than going through California.  I have not traveled the roads from Bend to Susanville, CA so I cannot recommend them.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 11:16:12 PM »
We regularly leave BCS for relatives' home in Elko.  David's route via Burns and Winnemucca is a great route through relatively flat, wide-open country with little traffic.  The worst part, if there is a worst part, is from BCS to Hwy 20 east, and that certainly ain't much to gripe about.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 12:26:15 AM »
I would recommend any route avoiding California.  I went to refuel today and found out that the only diesel allowed to now be sold in CA is B20 BioDiesel.  
Roy
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 12:51:03 AM »
Roy
I get my diesel at CFN or Pacific Pride and it is still #2.  According to the California.gov. website, there are only about 50 stations in California that have Biodiesel.

Cities with Biodiesel stations in California

Anaheim (1)  Arcata (1)  Bakersfield (1)  Berkeley (2)  
Big Oak Flat (1)  Brentwood (1)  Campbell (1)  Canoga Park (1)  
Chula Vista (1)  Citrus Heights (2)  Coachella (1)  Colton (1)  
Corona (2)  Elk Grove (1)  Fairfield (1)  Fullerton (1)  
Garberville (1)  Goleta (1)  Half Moon Bay (1)  Hesperia (1)  
Hopland (1)  Imperial (1)  Laytonville (1)  Los Angeles (1)  
Martinez (1)  Mecca (1)  Mission Viejo (1)  Monterey (1)  
Mountain View (1)  Oakland (2)  Pacific Palisades (1)  Pacifica (1)  
Petaluma (1)  Placentia (2)  Placerville (1)  Redwood City (1)  
Richmond (1)  Rocklin (1)  Roseville (1)  Sacramento (3)  
San Anselmo (1)  San Diego (2)  San Jose (4)  San Luis Obispo (1)  
San Mateo (1)  San Rafael (1)  Santa Barbara (1)  Santa Cruz (2)  
Santa Rosa (4)  Sebastopol (1)  Sonoma (1)  South El Monte (1)  
South Lake Tahoe (1)  Sun Valley (1)  Truckee (1)  Ukiah (3)  
Upper Lake (1)  Ventura (4)  Willits (1)  Woodland (1)  
Woodland Hills (1)  
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 01:08:09 AM by 18755 »

Dick Simonis

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 03:39:11 AM »
I'm sitting at BCS right now waiting for our Marquis to be delivered.  My favorite route is to head east and stop in Caldwell, ID for several days since the weather is always good and the golf is great.

Than we head East and cut down though Twin Falls, ID and perhaps stop in Jackpot, NV if the weather is good. Than head south and refuel at Wells but continue S. to Alamo, NV for an overnight.  Continue S though LV and head over to Kingman, refuel and stay at Blakes Ranch.

Than cut through Wikenburg and, in our case make a detour through Gila Bend for a refuel at the Shell station.  Home by late PM.

This route works for us as it avoids a lot of traffic through SLC which I view as 100 miles of mayhem.