Author Topic: Chassis battery changeout  (Read 3514 times)

neil omalley

Chassis battery changeout
« on: October 03, 2014, 11:36:33 PM »
It's come that time to change out my chassis batteries. I have an '05 Thunder with a Cat 525 engine. My present batteries say Interstate 31-MHD and a CCA of 950. I'm assuming the 31MHD is the series?  I was looking at Interstates from Cosco today and the heaviest CCA they have is 850.Question ? Do I need the series 31 and/or the 950 CCA? Or can the Costco 850s suffice?

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Chassis battery changeout
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 11:57:08 PM »
Neil,
I wouldn't go with anything smaller than the 31 series and the 950 CCA. A lighter battery might work now but if it gets cold and slightly discharged... You'll also probably end up replacing them sooner.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bill Sprague

Re: Chassis battery changeout
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 02:53:23 AM »
Neil,

About 2 years ago I attempted a start and it was sluggish.  I pushed the jumper button and got started.   The mission for the day was a refer recall.  While I was at Sumner RV getting the recall, I got a quote for Interstate chassis batteries.  I was impressed but not the right way.  I got on the phone and found Budget Batteries on Old 99 in Milton.  (7900 Pacific Hwy E Milton Wa 98354  http://www.budgetbattery.com/locations1.php

It's big, for a battery place.  They have everything from fork lift to golf cart batteries.   They have all sizes and shapes.  The price was good and they were a match for what what I had.   I bought them and they installed them for me in their lot.  

Here is the weird part.  There was no label on the batteries.  I asked about having the warranty date on them.  The manager opened a file drawer, pulled out some labels, punched the date codes and stuck them on.  Always curious, I asked why the labels weren't on them BEFORE they went into my motorhome.  He said it was because they never knew who might be selling them.  He said that as a "wholesaler" other battery brands might be applied.   As I was leaving, a van with "Interstate" written on the side pulled in to load up with batteries!  The Interstate guy had his own labels.  

I think they have a branch in Bremerton if you don't want to pay the bridge toll.