Author Topic: Engine Oil and Transmission Fluid Analysis  (Read 12589 times)

Joel Weiss

Re: Engine Oil and Transmission Fluid Analysis
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2014, 04:18:27 AM »
Quote from: Bill Sprague
Joel,

I looked up JG Lubricant Services.  They have a $21 kit, a $27 kit and a $40 kit.  I don't know how to compare them to the $25 price from Blackstone.  

Somebody told me that Speedco will do them and I've read where Allison service dealers will do them too.  

I have absolutely no idea how to figure out if one is better than another.

Blackstone charges $10 for TAN and TBN analyses.  The last time I checked these were included in the basic JG analysis.  TAN is important in evaluation Transynd fluid; TBN is important in oil analysis.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2014, 09:44:04 AM »
Bill
By the way thanks very much for the offer on the test samples.  I got the oil and filter done in August and its the blended synthetic so that should be fine for some time.  I do want to test the ATF this spring but I hope to have all that done ahead of next summer.  I may have questions though!

Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2014, 06:23:25 PM »
If you are on the road and need an oil change you can't beat Speedco, they have locations nation wide and are very thorough.  Their basic oil change includes a lube, check all chassis fluids, check tire pressures, and an on the spot oil analysis.  The whole process takes about 45 minutes and you don't need to unhook your tow vehicle.  
 They do not however, pay any attention to the rest of your coach, not a good idea to use Speedco for all your oil changes.  

Larry Williams

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2014, 07:08:03 PM »
Tim,

I'm not sure what you mean by that last statement. What other things might another shop do for an oil change/lube?

Larry

Robert Mathis

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2014, 12:51:32 PM »
I have been testing all of my vehicles for several years now. I installed a Fumato valve on each vehicle, including the Beaver and send a sample off with each oil change on most of them, particularly the diesels. So far, I have been alerted with a buiding problem in a 6.0 Powerstroke Diesel in a F250, which I no longer possess, and was very happy to have a solid track record of oil changes and engine condition in the Contessa when the engine blew at 19,000 miles. I was able to provide the repair shop with copies of the test results, which showed absloutely no issues, when the coach was towed into Fairbanks. Cummins never questioned the warranty coverage. It's cheap piece of mind.

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2014, 02:04:03 PM »
Quote from: Larry Williams
Tim,

I'm not sure what you mean by that last statement. What other things might another shop do for an oil change/lube?

Larry

If you go to a complete beaver service center they will inspect your coach and maybe find a problem that needs attention.  Speedco just looks at the chassis.

Larry Williams

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2014, 03:13:40 PM »
You must be talking about BCS. I think most other RV shops don't do that as part of a lube unless you pay extra for a coach inspection, right? I know that's the way it was for my old non-Beaver coach at my local dealer. They never came up with anything else wrong as part of a lube.