Author Topic: shower skylight trim  (Read 4051 times)

John Harris

• BAC Member
shower skylight trim
« on: April 10, 2010, 05:02:09 AM »
We have a 99 Monterey. Does anyone have any ideas how to prevent or repair the trim around the shower skylight from buckling inward from the moisture in the shower. Ours is starting to buckle towards the center, we wipe down the shower and towel off as much of the moisture as possible after using the shower, but there is still a problem.
1999 Monterey  30 ft. Trinidad 3126b<br />Toad = 1999 Jeep Wrangler 2 door hardtop

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: shower skylight trim
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 12:16:46 PM »
John, what type of skylight do you have?  We had a similar problem and I inspected the skylight three times before I found the problem.
Ours is  a flexable plastic gold skylight.  Someone had resealed it using the wrong sealer and poor work. This covered the 4inch crack but did not seal it and so it leaked.  The only time it became obvious was when there was enough rain at one time.  Washing the roof for instance didnt make it leak enough for it to show inside.  I had to remove the old, find the crack and reseal.  Dont use siliccone is my thought.
Could you describe the trim in your Monterey?  Our Patriot has 1x4 but perhaps someone could make a suggestion for you.
Good Luck
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 06:03:00 AM by 14 »
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: shower skylight trim
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 09:44:19 PM »
Replacing the trim may be your only fix.  Solar heat through the skylight could be softening and stretching the plastic, and may be more of a culprit than moisture, though water getting behind the trim and heated by the sun is likely also.  You may be able to use screws to pull back in and square up the bowed section(s), then cover the screw heads with button caps;  just know what you're screwing into.

Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat