Author Topic: Roof repairs needed  (Read 4380 times)

Don Stewart

Roof repairs needed
« on: November 03, 2014, 01:53:36 AM »
Hi all,
Just went through the first rain and our "new", 2002, Contessa has a roof leak above the bedroom.  Does anyone know of a good RV roofer in the Upland, California area.  The previous and only other owner told us he had the roof replaced a few years ago so I am suspecting a leak around the rear A/C.  8)

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Re: Roof repairs needed
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 02:20:28 AM »
It might possibly be the A/C gasket under the roof air unit. Not super difficult to replace that if that's the issue.....
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 03:55:35 AM »
LaMonte is right, Don.  The two long bolts clamping the roof between the outer and inner AC frames commonly loosen with time and road vibration, compromising the seal under the upper section.  Simply snugging the nuts on those bolts can reset the seal so water can't move past it.  But use caution because over tightening them can warp them and exacerbate the situation.

Most good techs will advise a recheck of those bolts a while after an AC replacement, and it may not have been done when your roof was redone, when no doubt the AC's were temporarily removed and then reinstalled.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Don Stewart

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 03:50:23 PM »
Thank you for your replies. Since I am recovering from cancer treatments, I don't have the energy to do this myself. I am looking for a local competent facility to look into the entire roof and do whatever repairs are necessary. For mechanical issues,we have been going to the Colton Terminal Garage which came highly recommended by the BAC Forum, and have done great work. We are looking for a similar referral to an RV roofer. Thank all who have replied and will reply.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 10:23:25 PM »
The nuts should be accessible from inside the coach, by opening the AC's panel on the ceiling, Don.  I'm not familiar with exactly what unit is on your model coach, but I don't think you need to get on the roof to do this;  others here with direct knowledge of the Duo-Therm or Coleman, whichever, on an '02 Contessa should chime in.

Just a few turns with a wrench while standing on the floor may be all it takes to stop the leaking until a tech can check things.  If needed, perhaps someone else can get a crescent wrench up there and do it for you.  On ours, you just slip your fingers between the wood frame and the ceiling along the front edge and tug down to open the panel, which is hinged at the back, and catch the foam filter that's held up by the panel.  If you've never had it open before, now may be a good time to clean the filter if it's very dirty - gently wash and air dry it, or vacuum it, or buy a replacement.

On ours, they've used long bolts through threaded brackets rather than nuts.  So a nut driver or small socket on the bolt heads is an easy adjustment.  Note in the photo the bolt head locations, one through the bracket just to the left of the orange wire, and the other slightly hidden between the two yellow wires on the right.  If you tackle this, just don't crank the bolts down hard or you risk warping the gasket up top and making a bad thing worse.  Just make sure the bolts aren't loose.

Clicking on the photo may provide a larger image.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 10:40:43 AM »
Don
Glad to hear you are recovering.  We will keep you in our prayers!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!