Author Topic: Do you Dolly?  (Read 15103 times)

Dan n Lisa Lund

Do you Dolly?
« on: November 05, 2014, 10:52:51 PM »
Hi All,

We're new RV'rs and we're pretty sure that we're going to go dolly to tow our 2012 Ford Edge. The biggest pro to me seems to be that we wouldn't have to do any modifications to the Edge therefore maintaining it's resale value and I believe it would decrease wear and tear on the drive-train. We'd also have the flexibility of towing other vehicles if we wanted to.  I've also read multiple issues regarding '4 down' towing Edges.

What do you think? Do any of you dolly? If not, why not?

Thanks in advance! :)

Lisa

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Do you Dolly?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 11:57:44 PM »
My tow vehicle can be towed 4-down... so that is what I do.  It's a Chevy Avalanche with 4-wheel drive and a transfer case.  I simply put the transfer case into neutral and hook it up.  I used to dolly with a prior motorhome but was not able to backup with the dolly hooked up.  I cannot backup with the Avalanche hooked up either, but it's an easy unhook and rehook if I enter an RV park with tight turns.  I usually unhook the Avalanche after checking in and before driving to my assigned RV parking space.  With no dolly it's easier to get into a tight space if a 3-point approach is required.  The Avalanche weighs in just over 6,000 lbs so I have an EvenBrake for supplemental braking.  Many states require tow-vehicle brakes for vehicles over a few thousand lbs.  It seems each state has its own limitation... 50 different states with almost that many different limitations.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Dan n Lisa Lund

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 12:20:39 AM »
Thanks David!

The Edge is an automatic FWD. I'm not sure how I feel about having to leave the key in it and put it in neutral, etc. etc. It's my daily driver and would be toad when traveling. The dolly we're looking at is a Demco Kar Kaddy SS with surge brakes and a folding tongue and ramps so it can get relatively small. In our mind we could unload the Edge, unhook the dolly and roll it aside to back in to an RV spot. But since we're newbies I'm not sure if that is realistic so I'm looking to hear from experienced RV'rs on their experiences. I appreciate the response! :)

Quote from: David T. Richelderfer
My tow vehicle can be towed 4-down... so that is what I do.  It's a Chevy Avalanche with 4-wheel drive and a transfer case.  I simply put the transfer case into neutral and hook it up.  I used to dolly with a prior motorhome but was not able to backup with the dolly hooked up.  I cannot backup with the Avalanche hooked up either, but it's an easy unhook and rehook if I enter an RV park with tight turns.  I usually unhook the Avalanche after checking in and before driving to my assigned RV parking space.  With no dolly it's easier to get into a tight space if a 3-point approach is required.  The Avalanche weighs in just over 6,000 lbs so I have an EvenBrake for supplemental braking.  Many states require tow-vehicle brakes for vehicles over a few thousand lbs.  It seems each state has its own limitation... 50 different states with almost that many different limitations.

Jeff Watt

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 12:24:09 AM »
Lisa

I know some members here have an Edge or Lincoln MKX and can elaborate on any issues they have had. I have a 2013 Explorer Sport, which uses a similar drive train, although my engine is different and while the transmission is of the same family it is more robust to handle the higher horsepower and torque.

I see your Edge is only a 2 wheel drive.  I believe they are the only type that can be dolly towed - an all wheel drive model must be flat towed or on a trailer. This is from the Ford towing guide.

http://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/

You may have to look at the 14 year as the 12 and 13 only references towing on a dolly requires brakes. I don't think there is anything different between an 12 and a 14 Edge but you best check.

I have not had any issues towing my Explorer and it tracks quite well. The Blue Ox brackets are quite unobtrusive, although it did take some work to have it all installed. The only issue I have had is the coach throws up quite a bit of stuff and I have lost 2 fog lamp lenses; some kind of guard or protection will help minimize damage to the grill/body but the fog lamps are below where any guard attaches. I simply put it neutral, turn off ignition (i have push button start so no key in ignition) and go. Although limited to 65mph (hardly go above that anyway) and must stop and turn on and run it every 5 hours. I have a 12v line from the coach to the battery to help keep it charged while driving. I use an Air Force One braking system.

My only thought regarding a dolly is that it may get in the way at times when stopped somewhere for awhile, but that may not be an issue for you.

Jeff

Dan Murphy

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 12:52:50 AM »
Hello Dan and Lisa and welcome To the club. My thoughts on the dolly vs flat towing  are Sometimes the campgrounds are tight and there is very little room for your Toad let alone a dolly so you must find a place to put it. I have seen others have to store their dolly a long way from their spot.
My second thought is that my navigator has gotten me into a pinch at least twice where I had to unhook my toad in order to turn around in a tight spot or down the wrong road.  If I would have had a dolly it would have been quite a bit harder than just unhooking the toad and driving it out of the way in order to turn the coach around.
I see many people using the dolly and it does have its advantages like you mentioned but for us we chose a Ford C-Max and tow 4 down.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 01:00:47 AM »
Dan I agreed with Dan Murphy I have used a dolly and found them to be a problem in a tight space plus the storage issue can be a pain in a camp ground. I tow with all 4 down and like the results better our lights are EZ to pulg in and the brakes run on our rig air so we don't feel the car. I remember that in a tight spot I would try to back up the car on the dolly and most time the straps would come off the car wheels.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Bill Sprague

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 02:18:04 AM »
We have a 2007 Edge and have towed it for about 50,000 miles and it has an additional 75,000 miles of actual driving.  It has been trouble free.  It is "flat towed" with a Blue Ox tow bar.

Be very careful about AWD and FWD, or "All Wheel Drive" and "Four Wheel Drive".   If you truly have a version of the Edge that is FWD and can be put in neutral through a transfer case, then you may be able to tow it on a dolly.  

If by "FWD", you mean "Front Wheel Drive" then the back axle is connected to nothing in the transmission and dolly towing should work.  

In any case, thoroughly read the owners manual.  In ours there are several pages of carefully worded suggestions and requirements.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 02:35:48 AM »
Dan,
Towing 4 wheels down is so much more convenient, and cheaper than a tow-dolly. I have been a fulltimer for nearly 12 years, and you could not pay me to deal with the extra hassle involved with using a tow-dolly. In most states, it is something extra to license and insure, plus the extra cost of maintenance and tires that will age out, even if you do not consider the large initial investment and depreciation.

Gerald      

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 03:17:05 AM »
We are towing our 2014 Lincoln MKX (same as Ford Edge) four wheels down (FWD) and would not even consider messing with a dolly.  It is so easy to hitch up and go.  Have SMC brake.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 03:23:00 AM »
For what it's worth, what's just been said by the last several posts echos my attitude.  I've been motorhoming and towing 4 down since 1985.  I've been in my share of tight spots and hopefully learned from the experiences, but I was certainly glad I didn't have to deal with the added concern of a dolly;  it would have taken some of the fun out of the travel adventure.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 04:03:33 AM »
I had a 2005 crv and traded it for a 2012 Cadillac SRX...flat towed them both with no issues at all for 3 years.......

Tow dollys to me are just one more thing you have to spend time doing. I can hook my car up and have it ready to go in less than 10 minutes flat towing.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Peter and Connie Bradish

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 01:36:56 PM »
We tow 4 wheels down. We looked at a dolly in the early stages of our RVing but the cons outweighed the pros for us. The cons being: an extra vehicle (trailer), storage when not in use at campgrounds or home base, ease of hookup and taking off the car as we travel, cost. We decided to purchase a car that could be towed. We now tow a Jeep Liberty with 4WD.   Presently looking at replacements due to age of car. Leaning toward 4WD Wrangler.
Connie B. 8)

Les Brandt

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 02:27:56 PM »
I started with a Dolley because our car was front wheel drive. I learned what a royal pain in the butt it was and have been towing my F150 4x4 on all 4 wheels for 2 years now.

I would never go back.

My reasons:
Added cost of Dolley in tires, maintenance and licensing
Added anguish in set-up and take down
Added storage issues
Imminent divorce with DW over negotiating loading of vehicle onto Dolley! LOL
Me:
       "Too far left"
       "Too much to the right"
       "Slow down, you trying to park in the back of the coach"?
       "Back up a bit"
       "Come forward a bit"
Her:
       "What's taking so long I had the car on the ramp 15 minutes ago"?
       "How did you get so dirty"?
       "Why are you sweating so much"?
       "I hope you're going to change those pants before you come in here"!
       "Stop yelling"
       "I hate this damn thing. You can load it yourself! I'm done!

That pretty much explains my experience with Dolleys.
Anyone else relate?

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 02:38:53 PM »
Why are you SWEATING so much?  Wasn't it supposed to be, "Why are you SWEARING so much?"  Your experience sounds familiar with more than hooking up the tow vehicle.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 03:27:40 PM »
Another vote for 4 down towing. The Blue Ox base plate for our Honda is totally inconspicuous. Its mounted behind the bumper and the only thing visible is where the pins go in to the grille. I don't believe it will have a negative effect if we were to sell or trade.

We researched towing 4 down, and towing with a dolly. We're delighted with the 4 down, and would never consider a dolly.

Stan

Edit: There's really only one reason to Dolly....last name Parton  8)
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad