Author Topic: front wheel bearings  (Read 6744 times)

Tom and Pat Fudale

front wheel bearings
« on: April 08, 2010, 06:00:11 PM »
How to lube the front wheel bearings on a 2005 Monterey ?

George Vukich

Re: front wheel bearings
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 02:04:05 AM »
On my 01 Monterey, the front bearings are in a oil "reservoir".  Take your hubcap off and there should be a "plug" that has an oil level mark.  If it shows low, add oil.  RV repair should be able to help you.
George

Tom and Pat Fudale

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 02:27:00 AM »
front wheel bearings on the 05 does not have oil bath bearings

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 03:09:54 AM »
On coaches that do not have oil-bath ft wheel bearings, the bearings have to be removed and repacked with grease for proper lubrication.

Your owner's manual should list a maintenance schedule that tells you how often this service is needed.

Gerald

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 11:09:18 PM »
Gerald is right, but your owner's manual may be like ours - it needed some updating prior to publishing.  

The maintenance schedule listed refers to checking the "level" every 1000 miles or replacing the 90 weight gear oil every 30,000.  As you know, you don't have oil bath hubs, so that info is irrelevant.  A closer look deeper into the manual's Chassis section reveals text that says, front axle "wheel bearings should be cleaned and repacked with high temperature disc brake grease every 30,000 miles."

I've used kerosene and parts brush in a small container or disk brake cleaner to clean bearings with.  

I'd call Loren in Bend for a recommendation on what's really the best grease.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Sprague

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 04:21:45 PM »
If you have a shop do your wheel bearings ask a bout a change to oil bath.  The price will be about the same.  They will change the seals and hubs.  Most will say that if you drive your coach regularly the oil bath is superior and it has a longer service interval.  If you are two trip a year snowbird, most will say grease is better.   I changed mine to oil on the first service.

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 06:47:56 PM »
A local citrus dealer changed arround 100 trailers to oil bath and the trailers sit 4 months a year. He said it was worth it in the long run.