Author Topic: Low Water Pressure  (Read 8702 times)

Minor Cross

Low Water Pressure
« on: April 09, 2010, 05:22:13 AM »
Hi Everyone,
Hope your spring is warmer than ours is in Wenatchee, WA.  Cold wind and some show flurries today.  Brrrrr.

Now to a question.  Water pressure.  We have a 2006 Monterey with 4 slides and very low water pressure.  Tough to get
a good shower or a fast cycle through the washer.  The park is running 85 PSI and I am using a 40 PSI reducer at the faucet
(I've purchased a new one with similar results).

Is there a pressure reducer in the coach already?  Screens or filters that I should check?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Minor Cross
'06 Monterey, 4 slides, CAT C9.
Currently in Monitor, WA at the county park for the summer.

Tom Rogers

Re: Low Water Pressure
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 06:53:50 AM »
I have same coach with same problem. Hope we receive an answer.

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 01:48:43 PM »
If your water problem only occurse when hooked to "city" water. We removed the http://legacy.shurflo.com/pages/RV/rv_product_sum/rv_sum_docs/water_sys_access/wallm_pressure_50PSIchrome.html  Shur Flow and replaced it with a 1/2 inch check valve and whole house water pressure regulator and got increased volume.

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
do not know if your problem is similar to mine on a 1999 Marquis but...clean all the screens on your facuets and shower head.  You will have to remove from the tub connection to do this but on my issue it worked.  Also if you do not have a filter on the fresh water hose you may want to consider this in the future.
Hope it works!

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 11:21:46 PM »
The Sureflow connection also has a screen that can be removed and cleaned.  I have had to replace a failed Sureflow connector with a built in pressure valve on a boat I once had.  They can fail.

Joe Van Loan

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 02:34:14 PM »
I had the same problem when our 2006 Patriot was new.  I think you might mean that you have low flow from the shower.  If you have water filters built in, check them first.  I also bought an adjustable external water pressure regulator and guage at Sam's Club (also available at Camping World for a little more money) and keep it set at 65 psi.  I had to tighten a couple of hose clamps to stop drips, but the higher pressure helps.  

Many shower heads come with a flow reducer to save water.  You might try removing the head from the hose and see if your's has one.  If so try it with it removed and see if that helps.

Finally I replaced the check valve at the end of the hose inside the plumbing bay.  The original had a very small opening, about 1/4 inch.  I bought a Watts residential check valve at Menards with a 1/2 or 3/4 inch fitting.  The opening was at least 5/8 inch.  That made a big difference in the flow at the shower.  

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 10:37:47 PM »
A thing as simple as turning on the pump while on city water can boost volume.  Regulators are designed to protect RVs from pressures beyond what they're designed for, so keep that in mind.  But I have to agree water filters can really stifle pressure, and in my mind should be specific to drinking water faucets and ice makers only.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Sprague

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 04:53:23 PM »
Quote from: Richard And Babs Ames
If your water problem only occurse when hooked to "city" water. We removed the http://legacy.shurflo.com/pages/RV/rv_product_sum/rv_sum_docs/water_sys_access/wallm_pressure_50PSIchrome.html  Shur Flow and replaced it with a 1/2 inch check valve and whole house water pressure regulator and got increased volume.
Richard, I bought the parts to do the same thing, but havn't started the project yet.  Can you post a picture?

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 06:55:03 PM »
I can e mail you a picture and will try to post.  I actually took the middle out of the Surflo housing and mounted it backwards for a spacer for the check valve.

Works like this for me Hose to city water hooks to a particulate water filter the whole house Watts prressure regulater then a ten foot water hose to at as an expansion chamber to the city water hook up point on the MH where the check valve is. The only permanant thing is the check valve.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 06:07:05 AM by 14 »

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 06:07:04 PM »
The 1/2 inch plastic check valve fit the quest fitting and the Surflo housing with the center drilled out made a perfect spacer to attach an al plate to and add the hose bib.

To prevent water hammer I added a 10 ft normal water supply hose from the regulator to the check valve. You could also use an expansion valve. My plumber also reccomended a particulate filter before the Watts pressure regulator.

I have used this set up for 5 years with great results.

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 06:15:42 PM »
Missed one picture