Author Topic: DIESEL ADDITIVE  (Read 4871 times)

KC Snellgrove

DIESEL ADDITIVE
« on: November 10, 2014, 09:30:47 PM »
Good day! I have 400 CAT in my 2005 Beaver Monterrey coach. A friend of mine told me that I should be adding an ADDITIVE with every fill up! I would like some advice from my fellow BEAVER owners what you would recommend or not recommend! Thank you all, Sincerely
KC Snellgrove
2005 Beaver Monterrey "OLIVIA JEAN!" :-/

Gerald Farris

Re: DIESEL ADDITIVE
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 11:01:29 PM »
KC,
This subject has been discussed on the forum before, and the censuses opinion is pretty much that if you are not trying to treat or prevent a microbial growth (algae), any benefits that you receive from a fuel additive if you are using good fuel, are offset by the cost of the additive. Therefore, if there is no financial benefit in fuel cost or engine maintenance cost, why go through the trouble and mess of dealing with a fuel additive.  

However, if you have an issue with microbial growth in your fuel, a biocide fuel additive is very highly recommended. Only a biocide will cure this issue, other than fuel polishing. A regular diesel additive that is meant as a Cetane booster, will not help a microbial growth issue.

Gerald

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 12:32:50 AM »
Quote from: KC Snellgrove
Good day! I have 400 CAT in my 2005 Beaver Monterrey coach. A friend of mine told me that I should be adding an ADDITIVE with every fill up! I would like some advice from my fellow BEAVER owners what you would recommend or not recommend! Thank you all, Sincerely
KC Snellgrove
2005 Beaver Monterrey "OLIVIA JEAN!" :-/

What he might be referring to is running B20 fuel, Cat put out a Service Sheet on running Biodiesel and at what %'s. In the sheet they basically say to run a fuel conditioner if running B20 all the time. I bought some of the conditioner from Cat and ran it through a tank of fuel just to clean things out. I haven't ran across much B20 fuel yet, but I can imagine it will only get worse with time and the EPA pushing.

http://www.natbiogroup.com/docs/caterpillar%202010.pdf

KC Snellgrove

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 04:39:01 PM »
Thank you. KC

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 07:12:09 PM »
I think most of us in the BAC would respectfully disagree with your friend's advice, KC.  

There was a period a few decades back where adding something with each tank of gas for our cars was all the rage;  everyone fretted that lead-free gas needed help.  Valves back then did need help, and then came alcoholed gas that damaged fuel system seals.  Eventually modifications were made by vehicle manufacturers and oil companies.  Today the additive companies are no longer cashing in on paranoia, except by way of the uninformed, some boat owners, some small engine machines, and perhaps those with old unmodified cars that can't handle lead-free alcoholed gas.  Additive companies that make make honestly useful gasoline preservatives like Sta-bil are appreciated though, especially by small engine, seasonal equipment owners.

The impending issue these days is biodiesel, and it's a good idea for us as owners to understand it and be alert when driving up to pumps in unfamiliar territory.  Your friend is probably wasting his money adding anything with each fill-up.  As Gerald notes, its been discussed here before;  you and your friend might benefit by reviewing this one more recent discussion of biodiesel that included mine and others' experience with fuel additives;  they have their place in certain circumstances, but not each and every fill-up:   http://forum.bacrallies.com/m-1413468219/s-4/highlight-fuel+additive/#num4

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat