Author Topic: Xantrex Problem  (Read 6111 times)

Mel Griffin

Xantrex Problem
« on: April 19, 2010, 09:26:07 PM »
Seems the Freedom 458 series COMBI inverter/charger is not working. No AC in coach,. When I plug my house 15 amp to coach in about 2 min. it trips the house breaker.  With Gen. running, AC works. After running Gen. to charge batteries to approx. 12.4 volts, both house and chassic, I awake next morning to chassic batteries reading 8.2 volts with every thing turnred off.

Why does everyone talk about replacing Xantrex with a Magnum?, this unit has been in the coach for 10 years.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 06:13:27 AM by 14 »

Roy Mueller

• BAC Member
Re: Xantrex Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 08:39:50 AM »
The problem is getting some one to repair them. I had a Heart 2000 ,cost to repair 899.00 new Magmum 1100.00
3year warranty.  Getting back to your problem, check your batteries. Next try pluging into a 30 amp service.  Your inverter charger can use more than 15 amps at full charging capacity.with low batteries. If you don't have 30 amp try  setting inverter charger to power sharing so it uses less amps. Call me if you have more questions.
573-220-1216   Roy

For repair: Fuse Electric, SanDiago, CA  619-992-5932, or Abney Electric, Redmond Or 541-823-6000
Check price:  Solar Bills,  Quartzsite, Az, or RV Supper store ,Discount  on line
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 11:03:02 PM by 14 »

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 11:28:40 AM »
Do you have the manual for the Xantrex?  Ours has a couple of settings and resets which might have a bearing on this.  I have the freedom 454.  I had a similar problem though not exactly the same.  Turned out that the battery select kept resetting to the "glass matt" type of battery as a default every time the A/C went off or tried to.  There is a reset proceedure to follow on the unit (not the remote).
Also, the A/C breaker in your home might be getting a little weak and as the charger can easily draw that much the breaker might be on the verge of tripping all the time.  Pull the service panel cover and inspect the wire going to that breaker.  If the wire is 12 ga. it will likely take a 20amp breaker though you might get this checked by a certified electrician.

Best of luck
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Mel Griffin

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 02:39:16 AM »
Keith, I do have the operating instruction's. Monday I spent about 30 min. with a tech from Xantrex in Canada, he said to see a service center. I'm going to S.E. Power in Orlando on Monday, the previous owner had the coach there and said  they know what there doing, let's hope so. I'll let you know .

Bruce Benson

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 01:01:27 AM »
I have a Xantrex Prosine.  It is at least the third one in this coach and is acting like it is on its last leg.  It is not repairable.  Xantrex will sell a rebuilt one and send the bad one back to China, where they are all built, for re-manufacture.  They offer a 90 day warrantee on the rebuilt ones.

The Magnum is built in the USA and is repairable.  

Xantrex also builds an Echo charger for the chassis battery.  The coach also had three of them until we wised up and bought the Trick-l-start from www.lslproducts.com .