Author Topic: Generator issue  (Read 3563 times)

Randy Perry

Generator issue
« on: December 03, 2014, 08:41:22 PM »
Tried to start the generator the other day, heard the tic tic tic sound of what I assume is the fuel pump for a few seconds but then it stopped, then nothing for a second or two, then it started to crank over but wouldn't fire! Due for a service but what does these symptoms sound like???$$$

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Generator issue
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 08:46:07 PM »
It's a rocker switch.  You pushed the switch in at the bottom side for several seconds, then pushed the switch to the top side to start?  The longer the generator has sit, then the longer the bottom side should be held before trying to start it.

I believe my manual said if the generator has not run for several weeks, then the button should be held to the down side for up to 30 seconds to allow the fuel pump to prime the system.  Then start the generator by rocking the switch to the up side.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:49:53 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 10:18:24 PM »
Randy,
From your question, I can not tell you much. There are numerous possibilities that could be causing your problem. The simplest and cheapest possibility would be that the unit has not run in a good while and additional priming is needed as described by David earlier. There is also the possibility that your coach fuel tank is below 1/4 tank and the generator is getting no fuel. A restricted fuel filter will also give you the same condition.

However, if none of the above condition apply, you probably have a glow plug or control module problem, and they can both be expensive to repair. Unless you are a fairly good mechanic, either of these repairs need to go to the Onan service center for diagnosis and repair.

Gerald

Randy Perry

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 11:54:05 PM »
David & Gerald, I started it at home on Thursday and ran fine for a good half hour, went to visit the kids in Vegas and tried it on Saturday and wouldn't start! Had around a half tank of fuel at the time. I will give it another go but will want to top off the tank as I didn't have time to on Sunday before putting it back in the Beaver Barn. Averaged 39mph and 7 hours (normally 4 hours) on the drive home from Vegas on Sunday :-( and ran out of time, steam, daylight and it was raining!